MFS - What Do You Charge?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ATSMAN
    replied
    Originally posted by zeros
    Couple came in and wanted to have their returns prepared MFS. I think this was because of some gambling issues that one had and the other didn't want anything to do with filing jointly. Anyhow, I charged for both returns rather than one because I prepared two returns. The client questioned it a little. Charged the same amount for each. What would you have done?
    Some taxpayers are confused so it pays for us to educate them the MFJ vs. MFS issues first and given the situation figure out if it is going to be Std. deduction or itemized etc. I always tell them that this is 2 separate returns so the charges will be separate and may be different , if for example one person has more W2 or 1099s and additional state etc.

    I have one client where the wife files only one state but the husband being a truck driver has to file at least in 4 to 6 states plus has Sch C. So different rates for each.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jiggers
    replied
    You prepared 2 returns, correct? 2 fees.

    You pay for one bag of groceries at the supermarket.

    Next time you buy enough to fill two bags. You pay for two bags, not one.

    Leave a comment:


  • MDEA
    replied
    mfs

    I would charge each one for a separate return.Two returns two fees.

    Leave a comment:


  • zeros
    started a topic MFS - What Do You Charge?

    MFS - What Do You Charge?

    Couple came in and wanted to have their returns prepared MFS. I think this was because of some gambling issues that one had and the other didn't want anything to do with filing jointly. Anyhow, I charged for both returns rather than one because I prepared two returns. The client questioned it a little. Charged the same amount for each. What would you have done?
Working...