Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a tax credit for a Energy Efficient Appliances for Federal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a tax credit for a Energy Efficient Appliances for Federal?

My individual taxpayer purchased a $1200 Electrolux washing machine. We went to the energystar.gov website and his model does qualify.
    Where in the world do I put this? I have looked at the form 5695 instructions and can not find where the credit for the appliances go.
    Can someone direct me into the right direction? I know the energy credits got extended thru 2016. But I have no clue where on the Form 5695 would be the appropriate place for appliances. Or do appliances even qualify for 1040 returns?

There is no tax credit for washers or dryers, even "Energy Star" HE ones. I don't believe there ever has been.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

Originally posted by nwtaxlady View Post
      My individual taxpayer purchased a $1200 Electrolux washing machine. We went to the energystar.gov website and his model does qualify.
      Where in the world do I put this? I have looked at the form 5695 instructions and can not find where the credit for the appliances go.
      Can someone direct me into the right direction? I know the energy credits got extended thru 2016. But I have no clue where on the Form 5695 would be the appropriate place for appliances. Or do appliances even qualify for 1040 returns?
      There is no Federal tax credit for energy efficient appliances like washing machine but please check with your state revenue board. For example here in MA we had a rebate for certain models of energy efficient appliances from a organization called massave. This was a state program.
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Also check with your Electric and Gas Company as well

Sandy

Comment

I agree with everybody else, but I wanted to add one more thought:

There is a tax credit for manufacturers of Energy Efficient Appliances. Some taxpayers have been know to Google such things and NOT read the details, and therefore insist there is a tax credit for appliances.

Comment

State credits only

I don't recall there EVER being a federal energy tax credit (consumer level) for appliances.

There have been (are?) several state energy tax credits for qualifying appliances et al. IIRC, the Commonwealth of Virginia has (had) one.

FE

Comment

Some local utility companies give a rebate, might have them check with their electric company

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I didn't think so either, however, after seeing a list of appliances then I questioned it. And yes, I see the credit is for the Manufacturers.
                Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Comment

Working...
                X