Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CA Registered Preparer - Filing a Wisconsin state return?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CA Registered Preparer - Filing a Wisconsin state return?

I tried a google search but came up empty handed.

I'm a California registered tax preparer with my PTIN and all the good stuff. I had a family friend approach me while here on vacation and asked if I could prepare his tax return - which sounds like it would be a fairly simple return. He lives in Wisconsin.

I couldn't find anything barring me from preparing it... I went on the Wisconsin State Revenue page online and couldn't find anything either.

Does anybody know if this would be a problem or foresee any problems?

Thanks!
    Maria R., CRTP
    Los Angeles, CA
    Software Used: ProSeries since 2008

No Problem

I don't see why you shouldn't prepare the Wisconsin return. Same principle that allows me to prepare CA returns even though I am not required to be registered in CA as my business is not located in CA.

Comment

That's what I thought... I just wanted to put it out there and see what other comments I got.

Thanks!
      Maria R., CRTP
      Los Angeles, CA
      Software Used: ProSeries since 2008

Comment

Most states will automatically accept you once you have filed a return. some send a letter acknowledging that you are filing in that state.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Relative returns

Bigger issue is will it be worth the expense to you.
          Friends double; family triple. Don't buy an audit for yourself. If someone has to go to jail make sure it is the client. Remember it is only taxes, nothing important.

Comment

Working...
          X