Related person sale loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Related person sale loss

I have a client who is looking to sell residential rental property to a related person in 2016. I understand that any loss is not deductible and any gain is taxed at ordinary tax rate vs capital gain rate. My questions is on which form(s) do I indicate that the sale is between related persons?

Form 4797 Part II

Comment

Originally posted by mactoolsix View Post
      Form 4797 Part II
      Mac isn't that for a business sale.

google: Sale of Residence - Real Estate Tax Tips - IRS.gov
      Don't believe the don't have to report the sale, if you don't the IRS will ask for documents. Report on Sch D and if a loss, back it out
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

selling residential RENTAL property, isn't rental property the sale of a business? I'm thinking you can't sell on an installment sale to a related party.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
          Mac isn't that for a business sale.
          Form 4797 is used for the sale of depreciable rental property. Since it is a related party transaction, the sale must be reported as normal income (no capital gain treatment) on Part II

TAXMOM - yes, you are correct, you cannot use an installment sale with related party transactions.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mactoolsix View Post
            Form 4797 is used for the sale of depreciable rental property. Since it is a related party transaction, the sale must be reported as normal income (no capital gain treatment) on Part II

TAXMOM - yes, you are correct, you cannot use an installment sale with related party transactions.

Mike
            Mike...my bad...I missed the "rental" part of the post. Must have read it before I had my coffee.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
            X