Credit Card Late Payment Fees for S-Corp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Card Late Payment Fees for S-Corp

S-Corp taxpayer has SUBSTANTIAL late payment fees on a business credit card totaling more that $24,000. Would the late payment fees be considered interest and thus tax-deductible?

That Tax Court has ruled that SOME late payment or overdraft fees are "ordinary" or "necessary" for business (deductible), but there comes a point where A LOT of them would no longer be deductible.

Comment

If the credit card is in the business name and the use of the credit card is 100% business- you would not be questioned with taking 100% as a deduction. The third party payor status applies to service charges too I believe.

Comment

Business Credit Card Late Payment Fees for S-Corp

There appears to be a grey area regarding the handling of late payment fees (or a difference of opinion by other tax preparers). While I would normally consider the fees tax deductible, the enormity of the fees for this business causes me to hesitate. Business usually has a profit, but for year in question, taxpayer has substantial loss (not taking into consideration the $24,000 of late fees) plus large shareholder distributions. Taxpayer stopped paying on credit card for a period of time, thus the large fees. With the additional information I provided, would other tax preparers lean towards deductible or non-deductible? Based on the IRS ruling that Bill provided, I had decided it was non-deductible, but in my research, there seems to be some who think the expense should be deductible. I was leaning toward non-deductible, but do not want to omit a deduction if actually valid at the taxpayer's expense.

Comment

If the S-Corp could not get a loan because of bad credit rating, then I might deduct the late fees.

Get a letter from the bank(s) that any loans were refused.
          Jiggers, EA

Comment

From what you have posted, I'm not seeing why it would not be deductible. However, if the distributions were to the extent than they were more than RE, I may feel differently. The Baily case was a SP, and at least in my opinion that makes it different.

For what it's worth, I handle such situations one of 2 ways depending on how strongly I feel about the deduction:
            1) Tell client that it's a grey area and that it may not automatically stand in an audit, and then give them the option of how risky they want to be.
            2) Tell client that it's a grey area and you do not feel comfortable taking the deduction, but another preparer may take it. Then they have the option of not taking deduction or going somewhere else.

Comment

Working...
            X