Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IRS mandating passwords on our software??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS mandating passwords on our software??

From todays e-news:

"That’s why we have all agreed to new stronger standards that you will see when you access your tax software products for 2016 and file your taxes. These include:
    A password that has eight or more characters, including upper case, and lower case letters as well as numbers and a special character.

New features include a timed lockout and limits on unsuccessful log-in attempts.

You must complete three security questions.

Tax software partners must verify email addresses. In many cases, this means a PIN will be sent to your email or text that you must use to verify your address before you can proceed with your tax software."

I think this is for the DIY crowd using free file.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
      I think this is for the DIY crowd using free file.
      Well, that would make more sense, but the e-News for Tax Professionals e-mail in came in says: "The IRS has developed stronger standards that you will see when you access your tax software products for 2016."

Comment

Has

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
        Well, that would make more sense, but the e-News for Tax Professionals e-mail in came in says: "The IRS has developed stronger standards that you will see when you access your tax software products for 2016."
        Has it happened to you yet?
        Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

The email went to Tax Professionals, but the link in the email was to the consumer area of the IRS web site. It should have been clearer. Meanwhile, we all have our initial release of TY2015 by now, I hope, I haven't heard of any tax pro software suddenly requiring more security.
          "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
            Has it happened to you yet?
            ProSeries is doing it on the My Proseries site. The PITA of it is that if you don't keep their cookie on your computer you will have to wait for the email with the code and enter it each time you want to access ProSeries. I don't keep cookies so they are going to be busy issuing one each time I log into My ProSeries.
            I just logged into my 2015 software with no problem but there is an security alert message. Might want to check that.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
              ProSeries is doing it on the My Proseries site. The PITA of it is that if you don't keep their cookie on your computer you will have to wait for the email with the code and enter it each time you want to access ProSeries. I don't keep cookies so they are going to be busy issuing one each time I log into My ProSeries.
              I just logged into my 2015 software with no problem but there is an security alert message. Might want to check that.
              That's strange, I'm not getting it and I updated the latest. Are you using Professional or Basic? Do you happen to offer bank products? Are you being prompted when you open the program or when you open a client file?

Comment

SITE vs PROGRAM

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                Original Post maybe confusing.

You are saying the "site" which has your products, account info,etc, whereas some are saying the tax program.

So which one is the Original Poster trying to convey? This is getting like the Driver License post! No?
                Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
                  Original Post maybe confusing.

You are saying the "site" which has your products, account info,etc, whereas some are saying the tax program.

So which one is the Original Poster trying to convey? This is getting like the Driver License post! No?
                  Yes, I am saying that PS is doing this on the "My Proseries" site where you login to gain access to your account. They have made it a part of the program login

Comment

That's strange, I'm not getting it and I updated the latest. Are you using Professional or Basic? Do you happen to offer bank products? Are you being prompted when you open the program or when you open a client file?
                    It is part of the My PS site, not part of the PS program used to prepare taxes.

Comment

Working...
                    X