Got an interesting email from a potential "client"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got an interesting email from a potential "client"

This was sent to the email address associated with my IRS EA & PTIN accounts. As you may know, IRS will sell your contact info to anybody unless you request otherwise.

Hi
    I'll like you to file my tax refund for the coming year. I was recommended by an associate, please see my previou w-2 attached.
    Thanks,
    Asher Groeger

"Asher" forgot to attach his "w-2". If he had, it would probably be a zip file or some other malicious link.

Be careful out there.

Originally posted by Y2KEA View Post
    IRS will sell your contact info to anybody unless you request otherwise.

I didn't think there was a way to completely opt out of that. If there is a way to completely opt out, do you know how?

I've had quite a few spam emails lately too. Many of them claim to have invoices, payroll, or whatever else.

Comment

I'll bet "Asher" also forgot to mention who that associate was that recommended you to him. By now I'm sure ... or at least I hope ... that the IRS has the name Asher Groeger on a fraud watch list and will reject the 100s of returns from him claiming refunds.

By the way, do you file "tax refunds" ... or "tax returns?"

Finally:
      Be careful out there.
      Reminded me of that great police TV series way back in the '80s or '90s, "Hill Street Blues."
      Roland Slugg
      "I do what I can."

Comment

Great series, with a fantastic theme tune.
        Since we dropped cable and switched to broadcast TV, I've been watching Hill Street Blues reruns lately.
        A little bit campy, and oftentimes not entirely PC, but still entertaining.

But back to the original point.
        I never open any attachments I am not specifically expecting.
        Not even attachments from people I know.
        Unless we have communicated in advance that an attachment is coming, emails with attachments go into trash.
        Last edited by JohnH; 12-11-2015, 12:57 PM.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Foia

Originally posted by Y2KEA View Post
          This was sent to the email address associated with my IRS EA & PTIN accounts. As you may know, IRS will sell your contact info to anybody unless you request otherwise.

Hi
          I'll like you to file my tax refund for the coming year. I was recommended by an associate, please see my previou w-2 attached.
          Thanks,
          Asher Groeger

"Asher" forgot to attach his "w-2". If he had, it would probably be a zip file or some other malicious link.

Be careful out there.
          Certain Information is available because of The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), however on the application two addresses but you select which is available to the public: 1 - Personal 2 - Business, and yes, email address is available to the public
          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Are you listed on the IRS preparer site? I would ignore it and delete it.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I do not respond to any e-mail requesting my service from a person not previously introduced to me by way of referral or direct contact. Too many crooks out there fishing for info. I actually threw out people who just walked into my office demanding I give them an EIC estimate because the fellow down the street gave one and they want the best deal!
              Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
              X