Taxpayer filed using wrong SSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxpayer filed using wrong SSN

I have someone who prepared their own return for 2014 who came to me to prepare an amendment for them and I have discovered they inadvertently filed with a wrong SSN. It is close but they changed some numbers. Apparently the return went through, not sure how. What would we need to do to fix this? Never have seen this in over 20 years so no idea how to handle. I'd call IRS but that's next to impossible. Thinking that may be what we need to do but looking for a solution

Wrong ss #

First did you see the actual SS card? Second how do you know the return was accepted? Third what number on the W-2? Must obtain 2848 and call IRS for a transcript.

Comment

Then you don't amend because an original return was not filed and needs to be. I would, include a copy of the return with the wrong SSN in the packet or separately with a detailed statement of explanation.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I'd write a letter explaining the error and requesting that IRS change the SocSec number on the original return. I'd write the letter from the clients'a perspective and have them sign it. That way you are maintaining that a return was filed but there simply needs to be a correction to the info. And you are not needlessly inserting yourself into the process at this point.

The IRS doesn't seem to have a formal procedure for this situation, so you need to take corrective steps without submitting new forms. IRS will either act on the letter and the issue will be resolved, or they will write the client with instructions on what to do. Either way, their response will keep the matter open and establish that this is simply making a correction to a timely filed return.

I recently had a similar situation with a Form 941, and the letter took care of the problem.
        Last edited by JohnH; 12-10-2015, 06:07 AM.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
          I have someone who prepared their own return for 2014 who came to me to prepare an amendment for them and I have discovered they inadvertently filed with a wrong SSN. It is close but they changed some numbers. Apparently the return went through, not sure how. What would we need to do to fix this? Never have seen this in over 20 years so no idea how to handle. I'd call IRS but that's next to impossible. Thinking that may be what we need to do but looking for a solution
          I actually had a similar return few years back self prepared by the child of one of my clients. It was off by one digit. Return went through it was a balance due. The next year when I prepared efile was rejected. Paper filed that year and the following year e-file was ok with the correct #. The taxpayer never received a notice under the correct ss# for that year!

As others have suggested, pull a transcript (hopefully it is only one year they made this mistake). You will need to call IRS because I don't think there is any particular form to correct a wrong ss# for an otherwise correct return.
          Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Did the client request and receive a refund?

For several years now the IRS will change a name/ssn to the correct info if one digit/letter is off. I would request a transcript of the tax return filed. You may not need to do anything.

Chris

Comment

Agree with the others. You need more information before proceeding with a "solution."

(1) How did he file? Paper, or e-file? If e-filed, does he have an acknowledgement of some sort?
              (2) Get a transcript. The TP can do this himself same day at the local IRS office, if there is one. They will print off and give it to him.
              (3) If he owed, and sent a check, then they would have cashed it and appended the money to his SSN (or to the one printed on the voucher). Get a copy of the front and back of the check to see how it was credited. The SSN will be shown on the back.
              (4) If his return showed a refund, did he get it? Does "Where's my Refund" show that it processed and how it was paid?
              (5) Has he received any correspondence from the IRS? You may not even have a problem if they corrected it.
              (6) Is there any substantial change to the return (other than the SSN, which I am assuming you are seeing on a printed copy) that would warrant an amendment?

Comment

Working...
              X