Deductibility of COBRA as business exp in parent/sub situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deductibility of COBRA as business exp in parent/sub situation

I have a TP with several limited Partnerships owned by two LLC's. TP is sole shareholder of the LLC's. TP was on COBRA in 2015 from another company that he used to be >2% SH. COBRA premiums have been paid by one of the partnerships and is showing as a business expense. TP has other employees and does not offer group health insurance to any other employees.

Question: Can the COBRA premiums be deducted as a business expense on the Partnership? TP currently has no W-2 income from that partnership.

Is there another way the TP can deduct COBRA premiums besides on Sch A?- ie: if the LLC paid them

Could TP possibly be subject to health reimbursement penalties?

Trying to get a handle on this to give options before the open enrollment is over. Thanks for input!

Have you read the publication or TTB info on this issue?
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Yes, I am aware of the nondeductibility of COBRA as SEHI

Yes I have, I am aware of the non-deductibility of COBRA as SEHI, however the fact that the TP's COBRA is being paid by the partnership (of which TP is not technically a partner ie: does not receive K-1) is throwing me off.

It kind of seems like it would fit more into the HRA realm, but then from what I can tell, TP could be subject to penalties as there are more than 2 employee's and no other employee receives reimbursements for health insurance. At least after June 30, 2015. But even at that, should the 'reimbursement' be reported as income on a W-2?

Or am I mixing lots of apples with oranges?

Comment

Working...
      X