ATTN TTB Please Reconsider your stance on posting of certain links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATTN TTB Please Reconsider your stance on posting of certain links

We are all pros here and very much appreciate the fact that TTB has given us a forum site that has been so helpful in the past. Since you curtailed our ability to post links that assist all in better understanding an issue, you have seriously impeded our ability to help each other.
    In my opinion this has been done for the almighty dollar. Dont you understand our appreciation of this forum and our loyalty to TTB as a result? The majority of posted links are to articles that provide clearer understanding or, perhaps, a different option or view of an issue.
    I don't see the harm as long as we are not promoting the use of products that TTB provides. Obviously we use TTB or we wouldn't keep coming back. I, for one, don't take all my CPE training from one provider. Until you curtailed it, this was a good site for research materials and other opinions.
    Why not think of this site as a public service to the tax professional community?

Any other posters care to jump in here?
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Posting of Certain Links

The rules of this board are certainly within the right of the maintainers of this board to determine.

I believe they have been extremely fair in their ruling - that they would like to reserve their rights to
    not have competing for-profit commercial sources interfere with the promotion of their own products
    and services.

I'm sure you wouldn't like to have a commercial promoter use your client list in soliciting other professionals
    for your products and services - respect TMI's policy.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sam View Post
      The rules of this board are certainly within the right of the maintainers of this board to determine.

I believe they have been extremely fair in their ruling - that they would like to reserve their rights to
      not have competing for-profit commercial sources interfere with the promotion of their own products
      and services.

I'm sure you wouldn't like to have a commercial promoter use your client list in soliciting other professionals
      for your products and services - respect TMI's policy.
      I can understand and appreciate TMI's position about competitor's products and services that compete with theirs. Other product specific discussion forums have similar policies.

All the more reason to have an independent, not product related discussion board where tax related issues including links to sources can be discussed openly. There are a few out there.
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Links Very Helpful

Even though I have been a tax preparer for many years, my expertise in many areas may not be that good seeing I don't deal much with businesses/corporations. I do, however, like to research some areas, and have found a lot of great links from the "pros" on this forum. The TTB is a great tool for all tax info and would not leave it even if links are not allowed. However, I would be prone to check other sites to add to my knowledge.
        The links save so much typing time rather than having to type all the info that is included in a link. It also gives the reader the assurance that all the info is included.
        As long as the link does not promote a competitive edge for any company, I really don't see a problem with including links, especially IRS links.
        Hopefully, TTB will reverse or amend it's ruling on this issue. Either way, I will always remain a member.

Comment

I also respect the fact that the sponsor has the right to determine what should and should not be posted. I still enjoy this forum even allowing for that limitation, and I do continue to participate. But I must say that I have noticed my posting behavior has changed in two ways.
          1) I'm somewhat less likely to respond to a post when I know a link would be more comprehensive that anything I could say, because I'm not fond of reinventing the wheel.
          2) If I have a question, I have noticed that I tend toward just not posting it here, but posting it on forums which do allow links.
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Posting of Certain Links

I don't believe TMI objects to links to government sites or sources - although their products certainly provide the same information.
            What I feel is objectionable is the links to other proprietary sources that could create a conflict of interest situation in
            promoting other sources that are in competition with TMI.

Comment

However . . .

Originally posted by Uncle Sam View Post
              I don't believe TMI objects to links to government sites or sources - although their products certainly provide the same information.
              What I feel is objectionable is the links to other proprietary sources that could create a conflict of interest situation in
              promoting other sources that are in competition with TMI.
              Original post by Brad I seemed pretty clear to me:

"In the future, we ask that you refrain from answering questions by telling people to see a link. We do not have the time to investigate each link posted to determine whether or not it is a link that potentially could promote the business of a competitor. Please answer the question instead of telling someone to see a link."

It would seem now the prevailing TTB responses are of the type "Google such and such. . ."

FE

Comment

Just a couple of thoughts, and my opinion:

#1: The post was originally a "sticky" the stays on the first page. It no longer is. It TTB wants to have additional rules like this, they MUST keep it as an official "sticky". New users can't be expected to follow any such ideas if they are not clearly posted.

#2: The followup comment from Brad said "I agree links to the IRS website pose no threat to our business ... if all of the linking were limited to irs.gov, this would never have been an issue."

Unless they post an official "sticky" saying specifically not to post IRS links, I will continue to post IRS links and links to the Cornell website citing the Code or Regulations. I will not post any other links. If they do post such a thing, I most likely will spend less time here.

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                  Original post by Brad I seemed pretty clear to me:

It would seem now the prevailing TTB responses are of the type "Google such and such. . ."

FE
                  Kind of like when Congress/IRS comes up with a new restriction and the general population finds a way around it.

Comment

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
                    #1: The post was originally a "sticky" the stays on the first page. It no longer is. It TTB wants to have additional rules like this, they MUST keep it as an official "sticky". New users can't be expected to follow any such ideas if they are not clearly posted.
                    Good point. I just joined this forum in the last few weeks, and was not aware of any such policy until I saw it mentioned in a discussion. I am a customer of TaxMaterials for reference books & online library, and some CE self-study materials. Does TaxMaterials consider magazine articles (e.g. Forbes) or professional journal articles to be "competitor" sources?

Back when Intuit used to sponsor a tax professional forum, they were still pretty open about any and all links/discussions, even to competitor software vendors.
                    "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Although I switched from ATX to Drake several years ago, I have continued to participate in and support the Unofficial ATX Community, partly as a result of some of the issues discussed on this thread. That forum is operated and entirely supported by the users. Although it has ATX in its name, that forum is not supported by ATX or any other vendor. It grew out of a surprise sprung on the users several years back, when the vendor unilaterally shut down their official forum at a critical time in tax season.

We felt that we needed a forum which was independent and not subject to any top-down interference or oversight. I know that TTB gets enthusiastic support over there when the subject arises, but it is also true that participants who prefer a competitor are free to speak their mind as well. In most of those conversations I think the traffic runs heavily in favor of TTB. All in all, it's a fair and well-managed forum, not guided by the commercial interests of any one vendor. It allows any relevant links of course. I just got a host of links for a question I posted over there yesterday.

I think it's a very unique tax forum. Participation is free to anyone who registers, and donations to help support it are welcome but not required. In deference to the rules of this forum, I won't post a link to it. But if you google "Unofficial ATX Community", ....
                      Last edited by JohnH; 10-31-2015, 06:19 PM.
                      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

We don't come here to find competitors products. We come to research issues. Much as I appreciate TTB it is not my only research resource. I don't see the harm to TTB in posting another research location or in posting a location for a product that would be helpful and they don't provide.
                        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Posting of Certain Links

taxea - have you ever heard of "professional ethics"?

Comment

Links in Posts Allowed

Hello Everyone-

We appreciate your desire to post links and understand that they can be very helpful when trying to demonstrate a point. For that reason we are no longer enforcing rules that would prohibit you from posting links to other sources to help demonstrate points that you are trying to articulate.

We request that you do not post links to spam sites and will continue to monitor for those types of links in the future to ensure you are having the best experience possible while using our message board.

Your efforts on this board to help others are great and we don't want to limit your ability to complete them by restricting the use of source links as we have always allowed prior to the recent note.

Best regards,
                            TMI Message Board Admin

Comment

Thank you for being responsive the users of this forum and reconsidering this policy.
                              I think you've made the right call on this.

Comment

Working...
                              X