Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there a way to still pay for 2014 tax w/o filing yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is there a way to still pay for 2014 tax w/o filing yet?

Ran into a major snag on a return. In short may need to look back at several years returns to determine what depr was taken on a building sold in 2014. Doubtful it will get done today.

Client will owe a significant amount regardless of how this turns out. Is there a way to make another "estimated" payment today for 2014 to mitigate late filing penalty? Would it be done on a 1040ES? Another form?

I have a similar question with a client in Singapore who has some answers to provide still. Can she pay toward her 2014 balance due today by mailing in checks to IRS and NYS? If so, what forms should I email her to send with her checks?

Comment

Irs

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
      Ran into a major snag on a return. In short may need to look back at several years returns to determine what depr was taken on a building sold in 2014. Doubtful it will get done today.

Client will owe a significant amount regardless of how this turns out. Is there a way to make another "estimated" payment today for 2014 to mitigate late filing penalty? Would it be done on a 1040ES? Another form?
      As you know, est pmt is for current year.

Go to IRS web site to see how to make prior years payment (up to 20 years prior) on line vs mailing in with specific year pmt voucher. By making it online with IRS saves time and guess work whether it was received by getting a confirmation # once payments are made
      Last edited by TAXNJ; 10-15-2015, 09:55 AM.
      Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

See

Originally posted by Lion View Post
        I have a similar question with a client in Singapore who has some answers to provide still. Can she pay toward her 2014 balance due today by mailing in checks to IRS and NYS? If so, what forms should I email her to send with her checks?
        See other reply post for IRS payment. For NYS call the tax departments (very helpful and usually no on hold) to see if it can be done on line

Comment

My confession

I handed my guy that came in here yesterday a 2014 1040-V. All I could think to do, I was not about to spend any time on it, and I knew he wouldn't. I told him to get his tax info in here SOON. We'll see.
          If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Are you saying thru the "direct pay" on IRS site? They already filed and paid w/ 4868 extension but it was not enough. Should the "reason for payment" be

1) tax return even though it's not filed yet?
            2) extension even though extension payment has already been made?
            3) other amount due?

Comment

Yes

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
              Are you saying thru the "direct pay" on IRS site? They already filed and paid w/ 4868 extension but it was not enough. Should the "reason for payment" be

1) tax return even though it's not filed yet?
              2) extension even though extension payment has already been made?
              3) other amount due?
              Direct pay. Based on what you say "They already filed and paid w/ 4868 extension but it was not enough." Should the "reason for payment be" to me sounds like "other amount due" since the 4868 amount sent was not enough therefore there is an amount due.

Whatever you select 1,2 or 3 it would be credited to taxpayer account as long as correct tiin# and year of payment
              Last edited by TAXNJ; 10-15-2015, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Amen

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
                I handed my guy that came in here yesterday a 2014 1040-V. All I could think to do, I was not about to spend any time on it, and I knew he wouldn't. I told him to get his tax info in here SOON. We'll see.
                AMEN. Not guilty. You did your job.

Comment

Actually managed to get the return done, signed and e-filed so just set it up for automatic w/d with return. Good info for if it comes up again though.

Comment

Working...
                  X