I think this qualfies for a dependent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this qualfies for a dependent

TP Single in 80's took in a lady and her grandchild unrelated. TP Quitclaim Deed a house to this family. TP does not live in the house. TP pays for this families utilities, prop taxes, etc...and also supports them by buying food, clothes etc. in excess of 1/2. The lady draws SS income and is afraid if the TP claims her and grandchild as a dependent, her SS income will be jeopardized. Lady does not file a tax return. Your thoughts.

Not an issue

His claiming her and or her and her son will have no effect on her SS.

Comment

There's reason to disagree with the post title, mainly because of these: "unrelated . . . TP does not live in the house." Maybe the living situation isn't clear to me.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
        TP Single in 80's took in a lady and her grandchild unrelated. TP Quitclaim Deed a house to this family. TP does not live in the house. TP pays for this families utilities, prop taxes, etc...and also supports them by buying food, clothes etc. in excess of 1/2. The lady draws SS income and is afraid if the TP claims her and grandchild as a dependent, her SS income will be jeopardized. Lady does not file a tax return. Your thoughts.
        Your post is not 100% clear to me. The lady & her grandchild do NOT live in the same house - is that correct? If that's the case, the relationship test is failed and the TP cannot claim them as dependents under ยง152(d)(1).

Comment

I was wondering about the not living in same household

I was wondering about not living under same roof to claim them.

Comment

Section 3

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
            I was wondering about not living under same roof to claim them.
            See SECTION 3 of the TTB which gives info and charts that are easy to understand that should answer many of your questions. TTB is a good investment and provides great answers and guidance.
            Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
            X