Ss to health ins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ss to health ins

I just received email from TP where Health insurance company is requesting SS in order to fill out form 1095-b. This request came from a valid employer but wouldn't they (ins co) already have this information?

Originally posted by TAX4US
    I just received email from TP where Health insurance company is requesting SS in order to fill out form 1095-b.
    By "SS" do you mean SSN ... social security number? If so, what, exactly, is the TP asking ... YOU? Is he asking you if you think it's all right to furnish his SSN? Or is he asking you to furnish his SSN to that insurance company for him? Surely he could do THAT himself. If I were you, I'd call the client.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

One reason this question might have originated is if the taxpayer suspects someone is attempting to steal their identity. Seems like anything involving a SSN gets asked the preparer for whatever reason.

If that is indeed the case, seems simple enough for employee to ask employer (HR probably) about it to find out if it's a legitimate request or someone trying to steal a SSN.

Comment

This might be of some value to you - IRS issued HCTT-2015-53 - Your Health Insurance Company May Ask for Your Social Security Number - bulletin I received through my email today- Sorry I do not know how to past the link to!

For More Information it refers to " For more information, see our Questions and Answers about Reporting Social Security Numbers to Your Health Insurance Company on IRS.gov/aca."

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by TAX4US View Post
          I just received email from TP where Health insurance company is requesting SS in order to fill out form 1095-b. This request came from a valid employer but wouldn't they (ins co) already have this information?
          Not necessarily. Unless they have to issue Form 1095, they don't need it since none of them use it for policyholder identification any more. I just wish Medicare would get on track with this.

Comment

Link to HCTT-2015-53

Originally posted by S T View Post
            This might be of some value to you - IRS issued HCTT-2015-53 - Your Health Insurance Company May Ask for Your Social Security Number - bulletin I received through my email today- Sorry I do not know how to past the link to!

For More Information it refers to " For more information, see our Questions and Answers about Reporting Social Security Numbers to Your Health Insurance Company on IRS.gov/aca."

Sandy
            LINK ---->>> HCTT-2015-53

FE

Comment

Working...
            X