CA C-Corp. Net Operating Loss Carryback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CA C-Corp. Net Operating Loss Carryback

CA (since 2013) allows an N.O.L. to be carried back two years.

Have a C-corp. that has a loss and am in the process of preparing the Carryback.

There is no special form. Just do a 100-X and write N.O.L. deduction on page 2.

Instructions say NOT to attach the 3805Q showing the year of the loss as it can slow processing time.

Since each year will be done using a 100-X what should be attached? You would think that at least the year of the loss to show where the loss is coming from.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Since two years are being effected should both 100-X forms be mailed in the same envelope?

Should documentation be attached showing the loss year and what was used on each year?

I would guess that a refund will be a check and not direct deposit as there doesn't seem to be a place to put the bank information.

I would also think that this has to be a paper return and not E-filed.

When filing a California amended return for a corporation, F-100X, nothing needs to be (or should be) attached. Just write in the "explanation of changes" section that the amended return is being filed to claim the NOL carryback shown on the return for the year ended mm/dd/yyyy. Of course, the return for the NOL year must be filed first, so the FTB can see and reference it during processing of the 100X.

Yes, if the NOL affects both carryback years, file both 100X forms together, perhaps with a brief transmittal letter of explanation.

You are also correct that refunds will be sent via check.

Finally, the F-100X instructions say that if there is a refund, the return must be mailed to the address given. E-file does not appear to be an option.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

Working...
    X