Amend Deceased TP return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amend Deceased TP return

Daughter of deceased taxpayer (Her Father) asked me to help her get taxes caught up. I did 2013 & 2014 plus a trust return. I always ask to see latest return prepared b/c you usually need it when preparing next year. I noticed an error in the 2012 return and amending it would be mutually beneficial.

Is their any reason why I should not proceed with amending this 2012 tax return?

Thanks for your response in advance.

Taxadvisor VA

Originally posted by Taxadvisor VA View Post
    Daughter of deceased taxpayer (Her Father) asked me to help her get taxes caught up. I did 2013 & 2014 plus a trust return. I always ask to see latest return prepared b/c you usually need it when preparing next year. I noticed an error in the 2012 return and amending it would be mutually beneficial.

Is their any reason why I should not proceed with amending this 2012 tax return?

Thanks for your response in advance.

Taxadvisor VA
    What was the error and how bad?

If the amendment will result in a refund and your fees are less than that then I say go ahead. If it is more then the trustee/executrix will have to consider if it is worth amending.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Amend TP deceased return

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
      What was the error and how bad?

If the amendment will result in a refund and your fees are less than that then I say go ahead. If it is more then the trustee/executrix will have to consider if it is worth amending.
      Thanks for your response!
      Good point as it has to be mutually beneficial whereby the refund covers my fee and TP gets paid too. This is the case. :-)
      What I was looking for was any compelling reason not to amend. I have all the paperwork for Form 1310 so I am good to go!
      Last edited by Taxadvisor VA; 07-07-2015, 01:17 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

The year 2012 is still an "open" year, so an amended return can be filed. Whether or not to file it is a decision for the decedent's personal representative, which he would (presumably) make based on a simple cost/benefit analysis.
        Roland Slugg
        "I do what I can."

Comment

Working...
        X