Is POA required to intervene-Installment request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is POA required to intervene-Installment request

TP has contacted me about some IRS demand letters for past due taxes that he does owe. He has tried to work with IRS, resent Form 9465, and he still is getting demand letters.
    I am his TPD and I wasn't sure if IRS would allow me to intervene. I am not an EA but a now reduced RTRP.

What's your read?
    Thanks in advance.

Taxadvisor VA

If the total owed is less than the minimums for an automatic installment agreement, the fastest way to get a resolution is to call IRS with the client conferenced in on the line. IRS will ask the client a few simple questions and then obtain permission for you to speak with them about the matter.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Installment Plan- POA necessary

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
      If the total owed is less than the minimums for an automatic installment agreement, the fastest way to get a resolution is to call IRS with the client conferenced in on the line. IRS will ask the client a few simple questions and then obtain permission for you to speak with them about the matter.
      Thanks so much for responding JohnH!

We are talking big Dollars here > than $10K.
      Does this fact change your advice?

Thanks for your help.

Taxadvisor VA

Comment

If the past due is more than $10K, has he skipped on a previous installment agreement?
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

POA for Installment Request

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
          If the past due is more than $10K, has he skipped on a previous installment agreement?
          This TP fell seriously behind in getting his taxes done each year. In the first 3 months this year, I prepared 2012,2013, & 2014. He is a successful Realtor who did very well during the down time in the RE market. However, I could never get him to catch up his returns.
          He does owe from 2010/2011/ & 2012.
          I think IRS is ignoring his request to set up installment plan. He is extremely frustrated but it is his fault for not getting his returns completed when he should have.

TMI- I don't know honestly if he ever tried Form 9465 before b/c when I would suggest it he would blow it off.

What's your recommendation at this point?

Thanks ATSMAN,

Taxadvisor VA

Comment

Here are all the installment agreement details.

The IRS Online Payment Agreement system lets you apply and receive approval for a payment plan to pay off your balance over time. 

If he's just your garden-variety procrastinator, then you'll find this a piece of cake. But often as not, these clients come with a few complications that the conveniently forget to mention to you until it's forced out of them. When you offer a taxpayer an easy way to handle his tax debt and he does nothing, there's usually a time bomb lurking somewhere.

In any event, a conference call to collections might stop the process. They will probably set up the payment agreement while you're on the line. Or your client might even be able to set it up online (with your help).
            Last edited by JohnH; 07-07-2015, 07:37 PM.
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by Taxadvisor VA View Post
              This TP fell seriously behind in getting his taxes done each year. In the first 3 months this year, I prepared 2012,2013, & 2014. He is a successful Realtor who did very well during the down time in the RE market. However, I could never get him to catch up his returns.
              He does owe from 2010/2011/ & 2012.
              I think IRS is ignoring his request to set up installment plan. He is extremely frustrated but it is his fault for not getting his returns completed when he should have.

TMI- I don't know honestly if he ever tried Form 9465 before b/c when I would suggest it he would blow it off.

What's your recommendation at this point?

Thanks ATSMAN,

Taxadvisor VA
              Have you considered OIC if he owes from 2010. Even if OIC is rejected he will be given another opportunity for a payment plan based on his financial disclosure.

I would also suggest that you get all the transcripts and account statements prior to OIC. You will need a POA for that obviously.
              Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Unless EA, CPA No Collections Contact

If you aren't an EA, CPA or attorney you cannot represent your client in connection with Collection matters.

Originally posted by Taxadvisor VA View Post
                TP has contacted me about some IRS demand letters for past due taxes that he does owe. He has tried to work with IRS, resent Form 9465, and he still is getting demand letters.
                I am his TPD and I wasn't sure if IRS would allow me to intervene. I am not an EA but a now reduced RTRP.

Taxadvisor VA

Comment

Tax Credential- Collections

Originally posted by AZUKHiker View Post
                  If you aren't an EA, CPA or attorney you cannot represent your client in connection with Collection matters.
                  Thank you for this information.

Best Regards,

Taxadvisor VA

Comment

Working...
                  X