No announcement yet.

How would you handle this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True, but that sort of thing is relative and client-specific, as is much of the other detailed advice.

There are some clients I would definitely charge for a printout.
    There are other clients for whom I would stop whatever I'm doing, prepare the printout, and personally deliver it to their office if they asked - all at no extra charge.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Copies

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
      LOL! The part about charging for a simple printout is not unanimous. It would not even cross my mind to bill client for a simple request.
      For those clients who constantly ask for the same copy over and over as if one is a copy center. Yes, they get billed or go to a copy center and pay there to get it done.

You say you don't mind giving "simple"copies for free, can I send my clients to you for free "simple" copying services? LOL also. Be much appreciated.

I agree with JohnH as stated
      There are other clients for whom I would stop whatever I'm doing, prepare the printout, and personally deliver it to their office if they asked - all at no extra charge.
      Last edited by TAXNJ; 06-17-2015, 12:41 PM.
      Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
        For those clients who constantly ask for the same copy over and over as if one is a copy center. Yes, they get billed or go to a copy center and pay there to get it done.

You say you don't mind giving "simple"copies for free, can I send my clients to you for free "simple" copying services? LOL also. Be much appreciated.

I agree with JohnH as stated
        Difference of business models. I find that providing "extras" without charge brings loyalty, longevity and referrals. My annual letter encourages clients to call at any time during the year if they have questions on anticipated transactions. Rare that I feel taken advantage or bill for calls/e-mails. I am fortunate to have great clients and truly enjoy the time I get to spend with them each year. May be tooting my horn, but I think the vast majority of them feel the same about me.

Comment

Same

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
          Difference of business models. I find that providing "extras" without charge brings loyalty, longevity and referrals. My annual letter encourages clients to call at any time during the year if they have questions on anticipated transactions. Rare that I feel taken advantage or bill for calls/e-mails. I am fortunate to have great clients and truly enjoy the time I get to spend with them each year. May be tooting my horn, but I think the vast majority of them feel the same about me.
          Think same business model just different pricing for time and material 👍✌️

Comment

I don't mind giving an extra copy or two of a tax return to a paying client if they are applying for kids financial aid etc. BUT I surely don't want to be taken advantage of either.

I have had in the past clients show up without any appointment with a stack of documents wanting me to make photocopies for whatever reason. I had to politely tell them that I will need to charge a quarter per page because toner and paper is expensive. I had only one taker. The rest said they will take it to work and get it done there free or to the UPS store down the street for 15 cents a page.
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
              ....The rest said they will take it to work and get it done there free or to the UPS store down the street for 15 cents a page.

Mission accomplished...
              "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

So true

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
                I don't mind giving an extra copy or two of a tax return to a paying client if they are applying for kids financial aid etc. BUT I surely don't want to be taken advantage of either.

I have had in the past clients show up without any appointment with a stack of documents wanting me to make photocopies for whatever reason. I had to politely tell them that I will need to charge a quarter per page because toner and paper is expensive. I had only one taker. The rest said they will take it to work and get it done there free or to the UPS store down the street for 15 cents a page.
                So true. If near Indiana, you might want to send the freebie clients to KathyC2. Only kidding. That's it, enough of this. Waiting to hear from original poster as to decision.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
                  Its 2015 YTD income the Lender is seeking
                  This is standard procedure with an independent contractor or self-employed person who is applying for a loan and is required by all lenders. Since you do the books for the company who uses this contractor, I agree with tpnl. Just print off a copy of what was paid to the IC for 2015 YTD, and give it to the employer. He can give it to the contractor. Done. Whether you want to charge for this is up to you.

Comment

Working...
                  X