Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can still get 2011 1040 Tax Return Refund?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can still get 2011 1040 Tax Return Refund?

I have a client that has not filed the last 4 year's 1040 tax returns, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014.

I realize the statute of limitations expire after 3 years after filing & the statute never expires on an un-filed year's tax return.

(1) Is it too late to get the 2011 tax year refund because it was never filed?

(2) Will 2011's refund be applied by the IRS to 2012's balance due?

I would appreciate a much info as you can provide. Thanks so much, mikeburg

I believe had an extension been filed yes. Possibly applied to 2012. File regardless right away and see what transpires if it should be done. Can't remember at this point if would be applied to 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeburg View Post
      I have a client that has not filed the last 4 year's 1040 tax returns, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014.

I realize the statute of limitations expire after 3 years after filing & the statute never expires on an un-filed year's tax return.

(1) Is it too late to get the 2011 tax year refund because it was never filed?

(2) Will 2011's refund be applied by the IRS to 2012's balance due?

I would appreciate a much info as you can provide. Thanks so much, mikeburg
      Sorry 2011 tax return is not eligible to claim any refunds.

Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Return Due Date - 2011

Double check whether the return due date is Apr 2012 and so had to be filed by Apr 2015 for any refund, which makes it potentially timely. But was an extension filed?

Comment

REPEAT - similar question

See BURKE post 4-17-15 and replies to that post
          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Client does not remember if an extension was filed for the 2011 tax return.

Thanks! The client does not remember if an extension was filed for 2011 1040 tax return & no tax preparer to check with.

However, we are definitely filing the tax return as soon as possible.

There are just some deductions that could be questioned & may be hard to totally substantiate & if lost under IRS audit, the client will still be in a refund.

Should I remove the questionable deductions that may be hard to totally substantiate?

Thanks so much everyone! mikeburg

Comment

Records

Thanks! The client does not remember if an extension was filed for 2011 1040 tax return & no tax preparer to check with.

There are just some deductions that could be questioned & may be hard to totally substantiate & if lost under IRS audit, the client will still be in a refund.

Should I remove the questionable deductions that may be hard to totally substantiate?

See:
              When you claim expenses on your tax return, you must keep adequate records. Find out about burden of proof.

Comment

If you feel based on the evidence that you have seen that the deductions are questionable, advise your client not to deduct them because upon audit it will open up a whole can of worms not only for that tax year but possibly for the next 2 years.

If you feel that the expenses were legitimate but the evidence (receipts, logs, cancelled checks etc.) are lost then there are other ways to recreate that documentation depending on the issue. You will need to research that.
                Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Atsman - KNOW?

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
                  If you feel based on the evidence that you have seen that the deductions are questionable, advise your client not to deduct them because upon audit it will open up a whole can of worms not only for that tax year but possibly for the next 2 years.

If you feel that the expenses were legitimate but the evidence (receipts, logs, cancelled checks etc.) are lost then there are other ways to recreate that documentation depending on the issue. You will need to research that.
                  Should the word "feel" be replaced with the word "know" or "able"?

Based on what is stated about the client's knowledge of their own tax return history and/or copy, let alone recordkeeping of
                  "questionable" expenses.

Maybe an interesting and challenging client.

Comment

Working...
                  X