Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IRS has implemented a Device ID field for electronic return filers and preparers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS has implemented a Device ID field for electronic return filers and preparers

FYI in case you did not know

see link for explanation

Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

If I'm understanding this, it sounds like it will apply to all electronic returns, including the TubroTax type returns?

If so, it sounds like a good idea. Should cut down on people putting through mass numbers of fraudulent returns, and also "preparers" using TT to prepare returns w/o signing them.

Problem is the crooks are generally a couple steps ahead of those trying to catch them.

Comment

Good grief!

As my grandmother used to say. . ."Clear as MUD !!"

"...the software should request two specific pieces of unique information (i.e. SMBIOS UUID and primary hard drive serial number) of the device used to create an electronically filed return. These two pieces of information should be concatenated together and have no separators. The string of characters should be run through the SHA-1 algorithm and the resulting hash is the Device ID..."

And, somewhere, JohnH is exuberantly performing his own "happy dance."

FE

Comment

So if I read this correctly a problem caused by loose IRS security and mandatory efile requirements is to be addressed by yet another requirement to be placed upon tax preparers. Sounds like a typical government response.

Not much information here. If you file through a server which device needs the ID? The server the work station or both?
        In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
        Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

I believe it needs the device ID of the computer that was used to create and prepare the return. So if you use a commercial tax software it will be your computer device ID not that of the software vendor's e-file server.
          Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
            As my grandmother used to say. . ."Clear as MUD !!"

"...the software should request two specific pieces of unique information (i.e. SMBIOS UUID and primary hard drive serial number) of the device used to create an electronically filed return. These two pieces of information should be concatenated together and have no separators. The string of characters should be run through the SHA-1 algorithm and the resulting hash is the Device ID..."

And, somewhere, JohnH is exuberantly performing his own "happy dance."

FE
            Thanks for the recognition.
            As a matter of fact, I just now pulled out my e-flinging hardship exemption for the 2016 year and gave it a kiss.
            I'm thinking of mounting the darn thing in a gold frame.
            Last edited by JohnH; 06-15-2015, 02:01 PM.
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
              I believe it needs the device ID of the computer that was used to create and prepare the return. So if you use a commercial tax software it will be your computer device ID not that of the software vendor's e-file server.
              and it's the sort of thing the software would produce automatically by accessing your computer's bios and hard drive.
              Don't see the issue but I'm sure people will have a melt over it.

Comment

IRS is just telling us that they are implementing access to the origin of the return that was filed. They are also doing the following:

The Internal Revenue Service met Thursday with tax preparation and software companies, payroll and tax financial product processors, and state tax administrators to announce a sweeping new collaborative effort to combat identity theft refund fraud and protect taxpayers.
                Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                  IRS is just telling us that they are implementing access to the origin of the return that was filed. They are also doing the following:

http://www.accountingtoday.com/news/...1a%3A&st=email
                  "• Reviewing the time it takes to complete a tax return, so computer mechanized fraud can be detected."

Some interesting data they're asking for. But at the end of the day it won't help at all if they don't use it. They've had the IP address for ages. They've obviously had the ability to see the reject and ack counts for any given EFIN. I would imagine large scale identity theft is easy to spot by high reject counts. Combined with IP address you'd think that would give them enough data to shut down most of those people. That they haven't suggests to me they don't have the resources to do so - in which case, collecting even more data won't help.

Comment

You maybe right

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
                    "• Reviewing the time it takes to complete a tax return, so computer mechanized fraud can be detected."

Some interesting data they're asking for. But at the end of the day it won't help at all if they don't use it. They've had the IP address for ages. They've obviously had the ability to see the reject and ack counts for any given EFIN. I would imagine large scale identity theft is easy to spot by high reject counts. Combined with IP address you'd think that would give them enough data to shut down most of those people. That they haven't suggests to me they don't have the resources to do so - in which case, collecting even more data won't help.
                    Watching the news reports lately, You maybe right
                    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by David1980 View Post

I admittedly do not have much knowledge of these scenarios, but if they are logged into the WIFI at McDonalds, or Starbucks, or any major hotel, isn't that the IP address that would show up? It might be impossible to track down the actual user.
                      You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteOleander View Post
                        I admittedly do not have much knowledge of these scenarios, but if they are logged into the WIFI at McDonalds, or Starbucks, or any major hotel, isn't that the IP address that would show up? It might be impossible to track down the actual user.
                        True. However, if you have returns that you admit to filing and those that you claim someone else filed fraudulently using your EFIN and they all happen to come from the same IP address that's a little suspicious. And of course anyone using a normal internet connection.

With the new device ID, the IRS is in more or less the same place just replace IP address with device ID. Since they don't know what your device ID is, they can't confirm it's you - unless of course they get a court order to inspect your machine or something of that sort. And my guess is computers get "lost" when that happens. But again, if you have returns that you admit to filing with the same device ID they've pretty well established it was you. Same as with the IP address...

Comment

I'm not following all of this, but does this mean they can catch an e-flinger who cheats and then admits his cheating if they ask, but they still can't catch a real criminal e-flinger who is probably already a technological step or two ahead of them anyhow?
                          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
                          X