Email from IRS for EA's only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email from IRS for EA's only?

Did any of you receive this email? Is it legit? Interesting that only EA's have access to this.

TaxPro_PTIN@irs.gov

Jun 10 at 5:55 PM

ToXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear Tax Professional,

You can now view the number of federal tax returns processed by the IRS with your PTIN.

Visit the IRS website and log into your online PTIN account. On the Main Menu, select "View Returns Filed Per PTIN".

The screen will display the number of tax returns with your PTIN processed this year. The data is updated monthly and includes only Form 1040 series returns.

If the number is substantially higher than the number of tax returns you've prepared and you suspect possible misuse of your PTIN, complete Form 14157, Complaint: Tax Return Preparer, to alert the IRS.

Note: A minimum of 50 returns must be processed for data to be shown. At this time the data is only available for enrolled agents.

Sincerely,

IRS Return Preparer Office

When I log on (CPA), it says no records to show, only for EA's at this time, but will be expanded to other PTIN holders in future.

As recently as a couple years ago, they did not match PTIN /holder names on returns. I found this out when a CPE provider I use tried to send through CPE information and it wasn't going through. I called the IRS and it turns out that I had originally transposed two numbers and had been using the incorrect PTIN number for years.

Comment

I didn't get the email but this is probably part of the ID Theft new options. If they can get our computer info they would be able to provide us with the number of returns we efiled.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Based on ptin

Originally posted by taxea View Post
        I didn't get the email but this is probably part of the ID Theft new options. If they can get our computer info they would be able to provide us with the number of returns we efiled.
        Believe the information is based on your PTIN and not your computer info. However, you have raise a point with ..If they can get our computer info .. just recently tax software companies now have to provide in their software a way to read your computer info to know as noted by the IRS ...The IRS will utilize this unique identifier; in addition to key elements we already collect to improve fraud and ID theft detection. Vendors implementing Device ID in their software should ensure that their privacy notice will cover Device ID.
        Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
        X