HSA Contribuion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSA Contribuion

A married couple both self employed have 3 children. They participate in an HSA. The wife is the policy holder. She is 52 and her husband in 58. I assume they do not qualify for the extra $1,000 contribution limit based on the husband's age as the policy holder is under 55. Am I correct?

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
    A married couple both self employed have 3 children. They participate in an HSA. The wife is the policy holder. She is 52 and her husband in 58. I assume they do not qualify for the extra $1,000 contribution limit based on the husband's age as the policy holder is under 55. Am I correct?
    For 2015 the limit is $6650 for family coverage and I believe they can do the $1000 catchup if they are filing MFJ.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

I think Mark is correct. I had to research that a few years back, but don't remember which client to check my notes. Sorry. I remember learning that IF each had their own HSA, then the HSA of the over-55 could do the extra catch-up. But, when the only HSA is in the name of someone under 55, NO.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
        I think Mark is correct. I had to research that a few years back, but don't remember which client to check my notes. Sorry. I remember learning that IF each had their own HSA, then the HSA of the over-55 could do the extra catch-up. But, when the only HSA is in the name of someone under 55, NO.
        Pub 969 gives an example:

Example.
        For 2014, Mr. Auburn and his wife are both
        eligible individuals. They each have family coverage un-
        der separate HDHPs. Mr. Auburn is 58 years old and Mrs.
        Auburn is 53. Mr. and Mrs. Auburn can split the family
        contribution limit ($6,550) equally or they can agree on a
        different division. If they split it equally, Mr. Auburn can
        contribute $4,275 to an HSA (one-half the maximum con-
        tribution for family coverage ($3,275) + $1,000 additional
        contribution) and Mrs. Auburn can contribute $3,275 to an HSA
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
        X