Investments in single family houses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investments in single family houses

Where would you put houses purchased on the tax return, if their not ready to be sold?

what was the purpose for purchasing these homes?
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Investing in Buying & Selling Houses

Client have Settlement Statements showing the purchase.

Comment

Are they Inventory to be sold? Then, Inventory.

Comment

Buying & Selling Homes

Originally posted by Lion View Post
          Are they Inventory to be sold? Then, Inventory.
          I was told that I should keep the records and not put the four homes on the return until their ready to be sold. Is that correct information, if not how do I include it as inventory on the tax return? I appreciate all the help

Comment

It depends

Originally posted by Zoey View Post
            I was told that I should keep the records and not put the four homes on the return until their ready to be sold. Is that correct information, if not how do I include it as inventory on the tax return? I appreciate all the help
            I think it depends on the situation. If your client has been buying and selling homes and is in the business of buying and selling homes, won't this be considered self-employment income if you have inventory of homes? Is there a possibility he might rent out one of the houses if it doesn't sell? I think you should look at the number of years he has been doing this and the number of homes in his "inventory" before you declare he has "inventory".

I have a client who is a real estate investor. Some years, he buys, fixes up and sells a property or two. Sometimes, he will keep it and rent it out. His rental income is on a Schedule E and his sales are on Schedule D. Regular income and capital gain income.

Comment

Working...
            X