Found the holy grail in a 1098-T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found the holy grail in a 1098-T

You know those paper flaps that form the exterior "envelope" of some tax forms?

Well, I flipped open a 1098-T, and on the inside of that flap was a . . . drumroll ~ trumpets . . . listing of the student's account transactions! Yes!!!

At last

Originally posted by BP. View Post

Well, I flipped open a 1098-T, and on the inside of that flap was a . . . drumroll ~ trumpets . . . listing of the student's account transactions! Yes!!!
    I have waited on this moment all my life. Thank you for renewing my hope.
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
      renewing my hope
      "Hope" education credit . . . I see what you did there. Ba-dum-bump.

Comment

Uh

"Hope" education credit . . . I see what you did there. Ba-dum-bump.
        Uh, yes, yes, a Lifetime of Learning to be clever waiting with Hope for a useable form. Totally meant to do that.
        If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

I guess the institutions got tired of all the phone calls. Many of them are doing that now.

Comment

About that grail

Not to dampen your drum roll, but. . .

Does the information provided cover all issues (such as showing a scholarship paid out in January of 2015 but related to the "billed" amounts shown on the 2014 Form 1098-T) or does everything just "end" on 12/31/2014 and begin on 01/01/2014? ?

At least it's a step in the right direction!

Are you at liberty to state the institution involved, or at least public or private?

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
              Not to dampen your drum roll, but. . .

does everything just "end" on 12/31/2014 and begin on 01/01/2014? ?

institution involved?
              California Univ of PA. Details of 2014 activity. First one I'd seen; I was so delighted and surprised, you'd think a Tiffany ring had fallen out of the envelope.

Comment

About that grail again

California Univ of PA. Details of 2014 activity. First one I'd seen; I was so delighted and surprised, you'd think a Tiffany ring had fallen out of the envelope.
                So . . . . you're still left in the dark if the "2015" scholarship (that would impact the 2014 tax return) for the spring 2015 semester that was already paid for in December 2014 arrives in Jan/Feb of 2015 and is neither shown on the 2014 Form 1098-T nor on the additional information summary you cited?

Oh well. . .half a loaf beats no loaf at all.

FE

Comment

What an Opportunity!

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
                  Uh, yes, yes, a Lifetime of Learning to be clever waiting with Hope for a useable form. Totally meant to do that.
                  I mean . . . what an American Opportunity!

On the serious side of this thread . . .I have been able to get account transactions online from the student's college to pick apart. It list charges and scholarship/grant applications and all payments by term.

Comment

Working...
                  X