Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Divorce final Jan 2014, Ex violated decree by claiming kid on 2014 tax return.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Divorce final Jan 2014, Ex violated decree by claiming kid on 2014 tax return.

Divorce final Jan 2014, Ex violated decree by claiming dependent on 2014 tax return. I did one of these several years ago and I was able to get the IRS to disallow the dependent from my clients Ex and give to my client. I had to mail in the divorce decree and proof my client was supporting her child/dependent. With this client as well with that client I helped several years ago, the dependent does live with my client. Does the IRS still work the same way?

Yes, and it does have to be filed by mail. The IRS will not confirm who claimed the dependent, but they will follow up in their own time. Don't be surprised if this happens every year.

Comment

Also

Also, IRS does not care about decrees. Custodial parent is king. Attorneys do not know this or don't care, which can be said about most everything they do, so skip as much interaction with the judicial system as possible. Paper filing is the new black, just resign yourself to it.
      If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Working...
      X