Client Rejected By IRS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client Rejected By IRS

Never had this happen before. I could use some suggestions.

Client rejected by IRS. Taxpayer TIN has been previously accepted. Code R0000-902-01

Have tried to get through to IRS on the Practioner help Line. a 60 minute wait.

Suggestions anyone.

thank much

id theft?

1. Your post suggests and ID theft issue.
    2. There are many previous posts on this topic which provide valid information and advice.
    3. Check out the IRS web site and the ID theft affidavit form.
    Friends double; family triple. Don't buy an audit for yourself. If someone has to go to jail make sure it is the client. Remember it is only taxes, nothing important.

Comment

You can paper file the return with Form 14039 (Identity Theft Affidavit) attached. If you are filing MFJ, and don't know
      which client Identity was stolen, then attach Form 14039 for each taxpayer to the paper return.

Here is some link to more information.

Tax Preparer Guide to Identity Theft

Identity Theft Affidavit. Form 14039

Comment

In addition to Gene's suggestions have them pull their credit reports and put a fraud alert on them. Check to see if a local law enforcement agency has an identity fraud task force. Here it is the Sheriff's office.
        In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
        Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
          In addition to Gene's suggestions have them pull their credit reports and put a fraud alert on them. Check to see if a local law enforcement agency has an identity fraud task force. Here it is the Sheriff's office.
          Yeah. It always amazes me when a taxpayer gets this reject and their biggest concern is that filing on paper is going to make it take longer to get their refund. I'd think someone having stolen your identity would be the more concerning matter.

Comment

Dealing with reject and the greater picture

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
            Yeah. It always amazes me when a taxpayer gets this reject and their biggest concern is that filing on paper is going to make it take longer to get their refund. I'd think someone having stolen your identity would be the more concerning matter.
            I could not have stated it better!!!

The other issue rattling around is whether one is dealing with a flat-out "identity theft" (meaning ID theft, credit card/bank issues, etc) or just what we used to deal with when a spouse/relative/whoever "used" the SSN.

The way I read things, filing of Form 14039 is related to true identity theft (the former category) and not just a "misuse" of a SSN (the latter category). Granted, there can be some overlap but I don't think filing a Form 14039 is always the first action to take. After all, Form 14039 is titled "Identity Theft Affidavit."

It's not the end of the world to file a paper return. Heck, for some folks on these boards that's the ONLY way they file!! That's a reasonable approach which only becomes an issue when cash flow is tight. If a dependent's SSN will not fly, then efile a return without the dependent and then file an amended return (with dependent) at a later time.

Also - - -you're not gonna find me making a telephone call to the IRS at this time of year. There are only so many hours in the days before April 15th.

As for the original post - I would think a parent could certainly deal with Form 14039 for a minor who cannot sign said form? ? And does not the efile error code state which taxpayer/dependent was the "problem" ??

Keep on truckin' !!

FE

Comment

what is the reason for the reject?
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
              X