Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1098-T Worksheet, Box 2 how do you handle this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1098-T Worksheet, Box 2 how do you handle this?

In my ProSeries software, it has a section "Reconciliation of Box 2, Amounts Billed for Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses".

Then it has 2 questions under this section:
    A Enter box 2 amount NOT paid during 2014
    B Enter box 2 amount actually paid during 2014

As with many 1098-T's, Box 2 has an amount and Box 1 is blank. Many times the student or parents don't recall the exact amount they paid towards the amount billed. Just curious how you handle this. Some preparers enter the billed amount in question B regardless if the student or parent paid anything towards the billed amount.

hopefully, preparers on this site have seen the many, many postings about 1098T and how they should be ignoring it and using the school statement that student has available for amounts paid from all sources.

Comment

About those 1098-Ts

Originally posted by taxmom34 View Post
      hopefully, preparers on this site have seen the many, many postings about 1098T and how they should be ignoring it and using the school statement that student has available for amounts paid from all sources.
      Too bad TTB does not have a "like" button.

This comment would definitely merit several such from me. . .

FE

Comment

thank you so much

Comment

Use the bursar's statement to see how much was paid when and by whom. Or have your client/student go through their check register and give you a detailed list. Do not use 1098-T box 1 or 2. Use that form for things like at least half time student and school name/address and for the fact that the student actually attended college. (I had a client with a less-than-honest preparer in the past who put on huge tuition payments in years when they were not in school; the IRS caught that no 1098-Ts were issued and wrote the taxpayer asking for copies and details. They are now my clients.)

Comment

Working...
          X