HOH filing status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOH filing status

spouse is in prison and has been for over a year. Can other spouse file HOH? She has a child in the home.

Well, I skimmed it

Originally posted by FRAZZLED View Post
    spouse is in prison and has been for over a year. Can other spouse file HOH? She has a child in the home.

If the jailbird I mean husband is reasonably expected to return to the home after a "short" incarceration, I think no. And, I don't know what short is, but if he's sentenced for several years or something, I don't think that would not be a temporary absence. I hope this helps, sorry I know this is not authoritative. Someone will chime in and help, I'm sure.

If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Yes, she can file HOH if the spouse has not lived in the home for over 6 months. This information is contained in IRS Instruction Booklet, and Publication 17.

Comment

Originally posted by Toobusy View Post
        Yes, she can file HOH if the spouse has not lived in the home for over 6 months. This information is contained in IRS Instruction Booklet, and Publication 17.
        ...but temporary absences don't count. I am with Rita and just like her do not know how long temporary is in this case.

Comment

If spouse has been in prison, would he have any income? MFJ is more beneficial than HOH.

Comment

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
            ...but temporary absences don't count. I am with Rita and just like her do not know how long temporary is in this case.
            He has been in jail over a year does not count for "temporary absences". Besides, in IRS instructions booklet, under the heading of Head of Household - Exceptions to time lived with you. An Incarceration Adult is NOT mentioned under Special Circumstances for time away from home. The incarceration that is mentioned is: "Detention in a juvenile facility" that is because you can file HOH when a child is in juvenile facility. I worked in corrections, and I know an adult who has been incarceration for over a year is not considered as living in the home for tax filing puposes.

Comment

TTB page 3-12

Married individuals can be considered unmarried if they lived apart for the last six months of the year. Temporary absence, I don't know if prison is considered temporary. I would ask how long is the spouse going to be there. I suppose one could consider 25 years temporary.

Someone else pointed out that MFJ might be better.

Comment

Originally posted by tpnl View Post
                Married individuals can be considered unmarried if they lived apart for the last six months of the year. Temporary absence, I don't know if prison is considered temporary. I would ask how long is the spouse going to be there. I suppose one could consider 25 years temporary.

Someone else pointed out that MFJ might be better.
                I called the IRS with a similar situation. Took them quite awhile to come up with an answer, they didn't have the information readily available. While I was on hold I found somewhere that talked about short term incarceration as being a temporary absence. However it never defined short term. In the case of the clients situation the person in question was in for less than a year so I went with short term and The IRS ended up agreeing and hadn't heard back.

Comment

Working...
                X