Refund problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refund problems

I have one client return IRS accepted 2/10 and where's my refund still shows it as being processed.

I thought there used to be a number on the where's my refund that client could call after 3 weeks, but it's no longer there? Anyone know of number client can call to get more info from a real person rather than automated?

Just the general 1040 number, but there's no phone to call for refund info because the IRS is woefully understaffed. They don't want you to call (if you can even get through). That's what where's my refund is for.

If it's any consolation, I had a client with a CA refund that was stuck in 'more processing' for about 3 weeks and they finally got it. CA usually turns around in about 5 days. No reason I could see for the delay.

Comment

There is a number you and client can call: 800-829-1040. Using that number will provide automatic information about the return status, or you can client the appropriate prompt of a live person. I must warn you, be prepared for a long wait, but it will tell you how long the wait is. I normally call using my speaker phone, and continue to do other things until they respond.

This number is for Tax Practitioners Only: 866-860-4259. The wait time on this number is very short. This is the number is uses for returns I have prepared, and when the "Third Party Designee" box has been checked allowing the tax preparer to discuss the return with IRS, or for returns that I have POA (Form 2848). The Third Party Designation is only good for a year, otherwise to use this number you will need POA.

The refund hotline number: 800-829-1954. The wait time is not as long as the first number. You can also speak with a live person. But basically all they can provide is refund information. For more details information, try the other two numbers.

Comment

She said she couldn't get to a real person on the public numbers. I tried to call on practitioner line, but after hearing 45 minute wait, I decided it's not MY problem.

Comment

Same here

E-filing returns from Ohio (I don't know that it matters where the e-file is generated or not), and I have had several clients this year who have always in the past gotten their refunds within the general time frame the IRS gives. But this year, some have taken one or two additional weeks.

One client, whose refund always came back a week earlier than I anticipated; this year it took two additional weeks (a month from the initial e-filing).

Very odd this year. The typical pattern is two weeks and released on Friday. But this year, I have had clients refunds being released every day of the week.

Comment

This is the only client that's called this year about late refund, so I'm assuming rest are being paid out timely.

Comment

Working...
            X