Newborns and SS#s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newborns and SS#s

This is the first year I've noticed this. Maybe it's only in Tennessee but I thought I would ask the group.

For years, newborn babies have been issued social security numbers immediately upon discharge from the
    hospital (or clinic). My theory was the hospital was issued a block of numbers to issue, and passed them
    out to the baby's parents upon live birth.

Now I have three clients held up from e-filing because babies born in 2014 did not receive SS numbers.

Any of you having the same problem?

I believe they are given the information to apply for an SSN while in the hospital, but not issued one instantly. Some people are just too focused on new baby to worry about paperwork. Some people want everything done for them and they are the ones that act incredulous and piqued when they have to wait at tax time. In my experience...

Comment

Waiting for Soc Sec number

I would seriously doubt if any organization/hospital would have a "block" of numbers. It's my understanding that all new SSNs fall out of that great computer in the sky and the first three digits no longer have any correlation to the geographical location of the recipient.

So far as I know (and recall) the hospitals in this area do prepare some forms for the new parent(s) that can then be completed/signed/sent to SS office by the parent(s). Whether there is a way the hospitals can complete the process without any parental involvement is unknown to me. . .I would say unlikely.

Few of my clients are dealing with any newborns, but IIRC the waiting time for a new card to arrive is often 3+ months.

Remember the parent can always contact the SS office and get a printout of the newborn's Soc Sec number as same is already rattling around in their computers a considerable amount of time before the paperwork arrives. That would be sufficient to [ efile ?] a tax return. Otherwise, wait or extend or file without the new exemption and then amend later.

FE

Comment

SSA no longer giving printouts

Our local SSA office no longer gives out copies of numbers. You have to file a form and what for it to arrive in the mail.

Comment

Forget that idea

Originally posted by tpnl View Post
          Our local SSA office no longer gives out copies of numbers. You have to file a form and what for it to arrive in the mail.
          Oh well. . .live and learn. I do know I've sent many clients (10 years or so ago, when I was killing some time in a big box tax store) to go to the local SS office to get an official printout showing their SSN, and they often returned with same within a few hours. I guess the SS folks are overwhelmed these days with all of our new "visitors" in the border states.

I did note that the current procedure for hospitals/clinics has the same information that generates a newborn's birth certificate to be simultaneously provided to the SS folks for a new number. Perhaps parental involvement is not a criteria but waiting for a slooooow system is? ?

FE

Comment

Me too

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
            Oh well. . .live and learn. I do know I've sent many clients (10 years or so ago, when I was killing some time in a big box tax store) to go to the local SS office to get an official printout showing their SSN, and they often returned with same within a few hours.

I did the same thing. This year a couple of clients came back and said the SSA office told them they no longer provide that service. They were told to fill out a form and it would be 4 to 6 weeks before they get a new card.

Maybe some offices are still providing on demand SS numbers, but our local office is not.

Comment

Here is one of many easy-to-find links about this online:
              Roland Slugg
              "I do what I can."

Comment

Working...
              X