Nondiscrimination rules health insurance $100/day penalty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nondiscrimination rules health insurance $100/day penalty

The IRS delayed implementation of the rules that require an employer to provide health insurance on a nondiscrimination basis. There was a $100/day per employee penalty associated with violation of the nondiscrimination rule.

Does anyone know when compliance must take place?

It's "until after regulations or other administrative guidance of general applicability has been issued under ยง 2716". The ACA discrimination policy does not apply at all to self-insured plans.

However, there probably are discrimination rules under ERISA that may apply.

Comment

I thought the relief was only through June 30, 2015. After that, they "may' assess penalties.

The relief for s-corp shareholders is open ended.

Comment

Originally posted by Maribeth View Post
        I thought the relief was only through June 30, 2015. After that, they "may' assess penalties.

The relief for s-corp shareholders is open ended.

That is the penalty relief for an employer that reimburses personal health insurance premiums. That one doesn't discuss discrimination.

Comment

I read Notice 2011-1 which does provide relief. Until regulations are finalized, does that mean you CAN discriminate without penalty?

Comment

Originally posted by ttbtaxes View Post
            I read Notice 2011-1 which does provide relief. Until regulations are finalized, does that mean you CAN discriminate without penalty?
            For ACA purposes, yes.

For ERISA purposes, I don't know. I would guess you can NOT discriminate, but I don't know the ERISA rules.

Comment

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
              For ACA purposes, yes.

For ERISA purposes, I don't know. I would guess you can NOT discriminate, but I don't know the ERISA rules.
              How does this fall within the tentacles of ERISA? The ACA penalties are $100/day per person. What type of penalties are we talking about for ERISA purposes?

Comment

Originally posted by ttbtaxes View Post
                How does this fall within the tentacles of ERISA? The ACA penalties are $100/day per person. What type of penalties are we talking about for ERISA purposes?

Unfortunately, I don't know much about ERISA, just that it has a bunch of rule about health and retirement plans. I do know it has non-discrimination rules, but I don't know the details or the penalties.

A group health plan is an employee welfare benefit plan established or maintained by an employer or by an employee organization (such as a union), or both, that provides medical care for participants or their dependents directly or through insurance, reimbursement, or otherwise.

The Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA) is a federal law that sets minimum standards for most voluntarily established retirement and health plans in private industry to provide protection for individuals in these plans.

Comment

Good catch Bill. I had no idea that ERISA had any purview over health plans. You learn something new every day.

Comment

Working...
                  X