Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is required for resident alien to file tax return with Husband?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is required for resident alien to file tax return with Husband?

I have a client with a social security number whose wife is from Equador. He is a college professor.

His wife only has a US Customs Admission (I-94) record number: 1234561290 (10 digit number that ends in zero).

What do we need to do for them to file married filing joint.

I would appreciate any ideas as I am getting confused with what I am reading.

Thank you. mikeburg

More info needed to respond

Where does/did wife live during 2014? Same for husband?

What (worldwide) income does wife have? Same for husband?

Does either spouse need to be concerned with dual-status alien issues?

What types of visas do they each hold?

**IF* they can qualify to file a 2014 married filing jointly resident return, one would suppose a SSN (or at least ISDN?) for wife is needed. Definitely for efiling, more than likely for paper filing although "SSN applied for" can sometimes carry some weight for the missing SSN.

FE

Comment

put return on extension and follow instructions for submitting a W-7. Have her take it to the IRS office.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Complete form W-7 or form W-7(SP). Attach it to the front of the tax return she files with her husband and send it to the address (in Austin, TX) shown in the form W-7 instructions. She can also take the form and tax return to any IRS office, but I would recommend mailing it to Austin where the IRS has a special department to handle these very submissions.
        Roland Slugg
        "I do what I can."

Comment

I'd recommend seeking out one of the designated IRS TACs that can review the documents in person; not all IRS offices provide this service. See http://www.irs.gov/uac/TAC-Locations...on-is-Provided . If none is convenient, then seeking out a CAA is better than DIY, because of the stringent requirements.

Comment

The things you can learn here

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
            I'd recommend seeking out one of the designated IRS TACs that can review the documents in person; not all IRS offices provide this service. See http://www.irs.gov/uac/TAC-Locations...on-is-Provided . If none is convenient, then seeking out a CAA is better than DIY, because of the stringent requirements.
            Among the information shown on the IRS link:

" Caution: Many of our offices are located in Federal Office Buildings. These buildings may not allow visitors to bring in cell phones with camera capabilities. "

That might raise the stress levels of many a notch or two.

FE

Comment

Thanks for all your info. Answers you asked.

Thanks for all the info.

The wife lived with the husband here in US.

She has no income, instead is a student where here husband is a college professor.

Correct me if I am wrong but I doubt either tp or sp needs to be concerned with dual-status alien issues.

I did not look at their visas but I think they have them.

They showed me a US customs Admission (I-94)Record Number for SP that expires 5-31-15. That number is 10 digits long so I pretty well know that it is not usable on the tax return.

Sorry taking so long to get back to internet for these responses, was required to go to new computers for Lacerte tax to work & not got everything quite set up yet.

Thanks a bunch. mikeburg

Comment

Working...
              X