Truck driver sort of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck driver sort of

A client drives everyday - 4 days week over 500 miles 9 hours a day and comes back to his employer - unloads unhook - etc. and works 12 hours these days. Of course other drivers are telling him to take his meals and for the life of me cannot find if spend 9 hours or longer away from home but sleeps at home - he can deduct his meals. Does not stay overnight but the hours driving is what is in question. Can or would you take the meals.

I would say no, but if somebody here proves otherwise, than I have learned something.

Comment

Unless he stops for significant rest or sleep during the day, he can not legitimately deduct his meals. And if he drives 500 miles in 9 hours, he surely isn't stopping to rest ... at least not for very long. You may wish to read the relevant part of IRS Pub 463.
      Roland Slugg
      "I do what I can."

Comment

Rest

He is stopping for his 1/2 breaks 2 times a day due to regulations. So it is sounding like he plus the other drivers taking the meals - ooops should not be allowed.

Comment

My husband has owned and driven dump trucks for 40 years. It is certainly not uncommon for them to put in 12 hour days. It would have been nice to take a meal deduction all those years, but no, it is not allowed.

Comment

In another thread there was a "daycare guru", now it appears the truckers telling your client to deduct meals are self professed gurus as well. Guess there are never a shortage of gurus out there.
            Last edited by Bob McCoy; 03-08-2015, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Yes, there is usually one for firemen too. We get that question periodically.

Comment

Client is a very similar trucker and all his friends keep deducting meals. They all drive about 200 miles, take an hour off or work the dock, hook back up and drive home. They are oddly of the belief if they work the dock they don't get to deduct their meal but if they don't work the dock and sleep, it's considered a layover and can deduct the meal. All of his co-workers are 100% sure this is the rules supposedly.

Comment

Working...
                X