Home office--2---one is safe harbor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home office--2---one is safe harbor

Ok, for me, I had a home office at my guest house for half 2014 and a home office in my main home for last half of 2014. The home office expense worksheets appear to be working and the income was allocated between the two. One is safe harbor and one is actual per IRS instructions. My question is that the safe harbor on the office I had for 6 mos appears to not be reduced from a whole year. I see no where to reduce it. Can that be right?

adjust it to allocate the safe harbor for 1/2 the year or combine the two into one F8829 by detailing them separately on the form.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

The 8829 is only for one home office, the other goes directly on the C, I did the home office worksheets with good descriptions of both. My software does not have an F8829. I am planning to scan the worksheets into PDF's and attach them to the efile to explain why I have the safe harbor AND an 8829. However, when I did the home office worksheets, I checked the box for disposed of before end of year, but see no where I can reduce the amount.

Comment

I am 'rasslin' with this as well. There is a Form 8829 in ATX, which is the software I think you use. I am thinking 2 Sche C's might be the way to go on this.
        Last edited by Burke; 03-08-2015, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
          I am 'rasslin' with this as well. There is a Form 8829 in ATX, which is what I think you use. I am thinking 2 Sche C's might be the way to go on this.
          Well, I found the worksheets which allowed me to have 2 descriptive records and allowed me to allocate income 50 50 without having to do two C's. I'm gonna print those worksheets and scan them back in as PDF's so that I can attach them to the return electronically. Yes, I believe 2 C's would also work though! (and yes is ATX)

Comment

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
            Well, I found the worksheets which allowed me to have 2 descriptive records and allowed me to allocate income 50 50 without having to do two C's. I'm gonna print those worksheets and scan them back in as PDF's so that I can attach them to the return electronically. Yes, I believe 2 C's would also work though! (and yes is ATX)
            It seems as if the IRS instructions would be more clear on this issue. There must be many returns that involve this, why should we have to figure something out??!!

Comment

It did not happen before the Simplified Method came into being. What I cannot figure out is why you can't use the same method on both.

Comment

It did not happen before the Simplified Method came into being. What I cannot figure out is why they won't let you use the same method on both.

Comment

Working...
                X