Identiry Theft PIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identiry Theft PIN

I'm looking at the Form 14039 and a question occurred to me. There is only space on the 1040 for one PIN, and the form 14039 is submitted on behalf of only one taxpayer. So it seems that there is no way to get and use an Identity Theft PIN for bother taxpayers on a joint return - only the primary. So what would happen if the ID theft PIN is issued in the husband's name, but someone filed a fraudulent return in the wife's name?
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

report them separately or call the irs fraud division and ask them this question. Please post their answer so we will all be enlightened.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I should have researched a little more before posting the question.
      E-filed returns have a place to enter the ID Theft PIN for both taxpayers.
      Paper filed returns only have a place to enter the ID Theft PIN for the primary taxpayer.

Since I don't do e-flinging, I didn't know that about the difference regarding those returns (nor did I care).
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Going through a similar situation now. The taxpayer/husband was the "victim" he went to IRS today and the 14039 form is verified and filed in with IRS.

I had the same question on the non-victim spouse - so she will either go to IRS office and have hers recorded, or I will submit with the paper return for this year to obtain her separate IP ID #

I efile and try not to do paper returns, so not really sure of procedure for the assignment of IP PIN

For 2014 won't have an IP ID# it will be for future use.

Will post more if I learn anything from the Client.

Sandy

Comment

This is off subject--but I was thinking your in NC John? Have you noticed that we are required to put a contact name number and email on the NC forms that require payments? Just thought that would really open people up to fraud. The IRS is pretty adamant that they will not email you wanting money. But now the NCDOR might?

Comment

No, I hadn't given it much thought. I don't fill in phone number or email information on any forms (Fed or State), primarily because of the concerns you raised. Did you see somewhere that they actually require this info, or they would just like to have it? I don't even supply this info on property tax listings. My policy has always been that nothing is so important or urgent that the tax agenciess can't send a letter and wait for a reply.
            Last edited by JohnH; 03-02-2015, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Yes, my ATX software requires it to be entered for Efiling! I've just been putting in my email. I cannot efile the state returns without it if they owe money!

Comment

Interesting.
                I haven't had any trouble paper filing (with Drake).

Guess we will see if NC decides to refuse to cash the checks from the several returns I've prepared showing balances due. They might do it, because they returned a handful of computer-generated NC-3's I sent in this year. They preferred a hand-printed version that fit their format. After seeing the quality of my handwriting, they're probably wishing they had just left things as they were..
                Last edited by JohnH; 03-02-2015, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Clarification on North Carolina filing options

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
                  This is off subject--but I was thinking your in NC John? Have you noticed that we are required to put a contact name number and email on the NC forms that require payments? Just thought that would really open people up to fraud. The IRS is pretty adamant that they will not email you wanting money. But now the NCDOR might?
                  I think the paranoids are somewhat beginning to take over here. . .

For some time the federal tax returns have "requested" a taxpayer daytime telephone contact number to be shown. Most states now follow suit. That is a problem ? ? ?

Dare I even mention that the federal tax returns, and all states I've prepared, also request (require?) the telephone contact number of the preparer to be shown. That is a problem ? ? ?

As for the fears of the "contact" name/email address on the NC efiled tax returns with payment issues, I have been using MY name and MY (business) email address. Sounds somewhat logical to me, as that information is being entered in my NC software area titled "Payment Contact Information." This is for requested 2014 NC balance due debits and/or requested NC 2015 estimated tax debits. If you are not aware of the response from NCDOR, here is what I routinely receive:

"Your electronic transmission to the North Carolina Department of Revenue has been received. If you need to contact us, please reference confirmation number [13-digit number]. Contact information is available on the web site.

The NCDOR is a cabinet-level executive agency charged with administering tax laws and collecting taxes on behalf of the people of the State of N.C.

Thank you for your electronic submission. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. Please do not reply to this message."

Quite frankly, my clients are tickled pink to be able to file their North Carolina return and NOT to have to write a check/mail a state 2014 balance due, or even better NOT to keep track of and to write four checks for their state 2015 estimated payments. (Of course, a similar federal arrangement has already existed for several years. The NCDOR is just beginning to catch up. . .)

It is obvious from prior TTB posts that there are strong feelings by some either FOR or AGAINST efiling and, in general, using the benefits of improved technology. Everyone is welcome to reach their own conclusions. So be it.

Peace.

FE

Comment

Working...
                  X