HOH unmarried couple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOH unmarried couple

It seems like an easy question but when it comes to dependents, well, I never cease to be amazed.

Unmarried couple lives together and has a young daughter that lives with them. They both work and make a fair amount of money. Last year, the tax preparer prepared the woman's return showing her HOH and claiming the daughter. Fine, no problem as the child is a QC of both of them. The boyfriend's tax return was prepared as HOH listing the daughter's SSN but not claiming her.

I've looked at the rules and can't find any way they both can be HOH. One must file as a single taxpayer. Am I missing something?

Unless the boy friend had another child with another woman that he is claiming that he paid more than half of the support?

If the BF signed a release of exemption because he could take the dependency because of his income then he files single and mom files HOH.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
      Unless the boy friend had another child with another woman that he is claiming that he paid more than half of the support?

If the BF signed a release of exemption because he could take the dependency because of his income then he files single and mom files HOH.
      You can't split the tax benefits this way when they're living together.

Comment

One of the requirements for HOH filing status is that the taxpayer must pay for more than half the cost of maintaining the home. Obviously, it is impossible for two people living in the same home to both pay more than half of that cost. Ergo, one of them must file as single.
        Roland Slugg
        "I do what I can."

Comment

Working...
        X