Farming hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farming hobby

I have a client that raises cows on her land only to meet the requirements for a property tax deduction. Are the hobby rules the same for any kind of venture?

Yes, they apply to hobby farms.

Comment

So any sales of cows is going to be line 21 and expenses on sch A not to exceed income?

Comment

For What It's Worth

There are laws giving relief to farm production in many states - in my state they call it the "Greenback" law.

A farm with only two cows is probably just a hobby. However, 1 cow for every 4 acres of pasture is easily supportable as to intent if there are more cattle than this. Even if farm consistently shows a loss.

"Purists" among IRS and/or publications insist a farm cannot consistently lose money, but history and appeals are different. When many of these farms were purchased there was every intent to make a profit and even today, the price of calves is so high that some of my farmers are really making decent money.

I would say that if these cows were bought simply to take advantage of such a Greenback assessment, then it is a hobby. And you are correct, the revenue goes on line 21, and expenses are misc itemized deductions subject to the 2%. A rip-off because this treatment almost always assures taxation. It's bad enough not to allow a loss but worse still for a taxpayer to pay tax on a hobby.

Comment

Working...
        X