Loss on 1065

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loss on 1065

Ok, this is new for me, as 1065's are still a learning experience. If there is a loss on the 1065, is the loss limited by the partner's capital account? I am not required to fill out that part of the K-1 under their circumstances, so I don't know how the tax preparer for their personal would know the loss is limited by basis if so, so I'm thinking no??????

Ok upon my research, it appears that it is the partner's responsibility to know their basis, not the K-1 responsibility. So am thinking yes, it is limited by the basis, cannot go below 0. Is that right?

Comment

Basis can not go below zero; however, the partner's capital account reflected on the K-1 is not necessarily the basis. Also you may want to review the nature of the partner's share of liabilities as these may be a way to increase basis that is not reflected in the capital account.

Comment

Originally posted by TXEA View Post
        Basis can not go below zero; however, the partner's capital account reflected on the K-1 is not necessarily the basis. Also you may want to review the nature of the partner's share of liabilities as these may be a way to increase basis that is not reflected in the capital account.
        That's just what I was thinking, thanks, it really helps to get a second opinion!!!! Have a good day!!!

Comment

Working...
        X