Gift of $17,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gift of $17,000

Client receive gift from uncle who died. Is this taxable to client? It says the donor must pay tax on gifts over $14,000
    to an individual but I cannot find if the client must report anything over the $14,000. Help would be appreciated

If the money was received after uncle died it is not gift but inheritance!
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

If gift

If gift, and not inheritance, see: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i709.pdf

I doubt donor owes tax, but return is supposed to be prepared by donor.
      Last edited by RitaB; 02-23-2015, 08:17 PM.
      If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by arlo View Post
        Client receive gift from uncle who died. Is this taxable to client? It says the donor must pay tax on gifts over $14,000
        to an individual but I cannot find if the client must report anything over the $14,000. Help would be appreciated
        Gift tax is imposed only on the donor, not the recipient.
        jklcpa

Comment

Form 709, is there a statue of limitation?

Assuming a donor gifted 15K to an individual in 2009 which we all know is over the exemption amount for that tax year. Donor died in late 2014. Can the IRS go back that far?

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
            Assuming a donor gifted 15K to an individual in 2009 which we all know is over the exemption amount for that tax year. Donor died in late 2014. Can the IRS go back that far?
            If the donor's estate is below 5.3 million, the IRS would have no reason to look back on such a gift.

Comment

Yes

Originally posted by JudyL View Post
              Gift tax is imposed only on the donor, not the recipient.
              Yes, agree, did not read carefully.
              If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Working...
              X