Divorced - who gets mortgage interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Divorced - who gets mortgage interest

I have new clients that were divorced 12/2014. Father is HOH, mother filing single, both living in house still. Mortgage is in both names. Typically, for mfs, I would come up with a percentage to allocate based on income. Ex-wife not wanting to cooperate to come up with percentage so neither gets to use the prop tax and mortgage interest??

Would anyone handle this differently?

I'm assuming, from the way you worded it, that you're only doing the father's return. You deduct whatever it is he paid. If it came out of a joint account, and they didn't have an established agreement about dividing it, then take half.

The ex's return is none of your concern, other than ensuring the dependents aren't double-claimed.

Comment

I would agree with Gar as stated above. However I ponder 1 question. IF divorced in December why are we still living together? I saw once where IRS said this ain't gonna fly but they convinced auditor this was a short time frame.

Comment

Their house is for sale and the short term plan is to stay until it sells.

Comment

Working...
        X