Husband/Wife LLC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Husband/Wife LLC

New client has husband/wife rental property LLC with equal ownership in New York state. Prior accountant has always filed as a disregarded entity and filed one schedule E(10+ years). Would you switch the filing now or continue filing on schedule E. The other issue is that as a disregarded entity they have been paying $25 IT-204-LL minimum filing fee as a disregarded entity. Based on income they should have been paying $1500. They stated that prior preparer told them since it was equal ownership it would be considered community property under NYS law. I am not an attorney and was wondering what others thought of this.

Originally posted by THS982
    They stated that prior preparer told them since it was equal ownership it would be considered community property under NYS law. I am not an attorney and was wondering what others thought of this.
    Well, I'll tell you what I think: Tax preparers shouldn't give legal advice ... and especially THAT particular tax preparer. New York is NOT a community property state.

A H&W LLC in a non-community property state is required to file a partnership return ... quite a burden for a couple who owns rental property. I think they should be asking themselves WHY they set up an LLC in the first place. Maybe on advice from that same prior tax preparer?
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

Working...
    X