sec 179 partnership and trust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sec 179 partnership and trust

An partnership filing form 1065 has two individuals and a trust that are receiving k-1's from it. A sec 179 is taken on schedule f- flowing thru on k-1's
    If partnership is unable to use the section 179, should that share of the 179 be divided among the other two k-1s?

I could not understand your question. Please proofread it, and if you also find that it's unclear, rewrite it so it is.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

Originally posted by gman View Post
      An partnership filing form 1065 has two individuals and a trust that are receiving k-1's from it. A sec 179 is taken on schedule f- flowing thru on k-1's
      If partnership is unable to use the section 179, should that share of the 179 be divided among the other two k-1s?
      If you meant to say that you think the TRUST is unable to use the Sec 179, then NO do NOT divide the 179 between the other two partners.

Issue the K-1 forms to each partner, including the trust partner, with the correct amount of Sec 179. The trust is probably a revocable living trust and the tax effect will be reported on the trustee's 1040 tax return as though there is no trust.

Comment

Isn't the deduction for the 179 coming from a partnership determined at the shareholder level. So as in agreement with above, I think all 3 should share the 179 assuming equal ownership in the partnership.

Comment

Originally posted by TAX4US View Post
          Isn't the deduction for the 179 coming from a partnership determined at the shareholder level. So as in agreement with above, I think all 3 should share the 179 assuming equal ownership in the partnership.
          There is a limitation determined at the partnership level first, then at the partner level also.
          jklcpa

Comment

Originally posted by BHoffman View Post
            If you meant to say that you think the TRUST is unable to use the Sec 179, then NO do NOT divide the 179 between the other two partners.

Issue the K-1 forms to each partner, including the trust partner, with the correct amount of Sec 179. The trust is probably a revocable living trust and the tax effect will be reported on the trustee's 1040 tax return as though there is no trust.
            And even if the trust is not an RLT, you still divide it three ways, even if the trust cannot use the deduction. That part is simply lost. You cannot transfer it somewhere else.

Comment

Drake

When I talked with Drake, they told me the amount could be split between the others and not carried to the Trust k-1. There is a screen in Drake where I can do that, but was not sure if that was allowed.

Comment

That is not correct. Look at the partnership agreement. We are assuming all interests are equal. But it may be possible that the partnership agreement says otherwise and attributes a lower percentage to one or the other. If that is the case, then you can apportion differently in the manner described in the agreement. All software has that option.

Comment

Working...
                X