SE Health and PTC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SE Health and PTC

My client got a 1095-A for her health insurance. When I enter the amounts in my software I get the expected result on Form 8962 and for the SE Health Deduction. She also has a dental policy. In Pro Series, when I enter the $833 as Self Employed Health Insurance it changes all the numbers on Form 8962 and gives me a SE Health Deduction that is increased by $761. What has happened is the $833 is allowed in full but the original deduction of $4,986 is reduced by $72. Does this make sense? My expectation is the SE Health should have increased by the full $833 paid for the dental insurance.

Yes, it make sense to me, but it's a little hard to explain. Adding the 833 on 29 reduced your AGI which in turn increased the credit.

Take out the 833 for a minute and look at the numbers. Line 29 plus the PTC should equal the total paid for the main policy.

Now put back in the 833 and 29 + PTC will equal the amount paid for main policy + the 833, but the PTC credit number increased.

If you want to look more closely where the numbers are coming from, you could put the 833 on another line that reduces agi, say IRA or HSA. That may show you more how the numbers for the main policy are being calculated.

I haven't had Pro pop any sure type errors on ACA, but they do seem to have the math down.

Comment

Thanks

Kathyc2, thanks, what you wrote makes sense.

Comment

Working...
      X