It looks like reporting on the 4797 looks like:
    Sales amount $165,000
    Depreciation Taken $ 28,000
    Orig. Basis of House and Land($115,000)
    Reportable Gain: $ 78,000

and character of gain:
    Section 1245 recapture $ 28,000
    Capital Gain (to Sch D) $ 50,000

After all this numerical presentation, my question is: "Can the taxpayer ever recover the
    $30,000 loss to FMV upon converting to rental?"

$115k became the property's basis for depreciation and its basis for determining LOSS on its sale. Its basis for determining GAIN, however, remains at $145k.

Accordingly, using your hypothetical figures the gain on the property's sale would be $48k ... i.e. $165k -$145k + $28k.

The $28k of depreciation taken is NOT §1245 recapture. There is no such thing as "recapture" on the sale of real estate except for real estate placed in service before 1981, and even then it would be rare. The $28k of depreciation is "Unrecaptured §1250 Gain." As such it might be taxed as ordinary income but at a maximum tax rate of 25%. However, some or all of the Unrecaptured §1250 Gain might not end up being taxed as ordinary income at all. It depends on the taxpayer's overall capital gains and losses in the year it arises.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

Thanks Roland Old ACRS stuff

You are quite correct - this is s.1250 recapture and not s.1245. And this is ALL capital gain in this
      example.

I remember the freakish election from the old ACRS days. Accelerated Depreciation in those days launched
      recapture of ORDINARY INCOME, whereas Straight Line election meant no portion of the depreciation would
      be ordinary income. Scary at the time...

So the answer to the question is YES the taxpayer can reclaim the lost $20K in basis if a gain is reported, but cannot reclaim it if reporting a loss. And I guess this means there is a "gap" where the numbers fall into a sort of Twilight Zone and zero gain/loss is reported.
      Last edited by Corduroy Frog; 02-09-2015, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Corduroy Frog
        this is s.1250 recapture and not s.1245.
        No, Mr. Frog, that is NOT TRUE! Please read my above reply again. There is NO recapture ... at all.

And this is ALL capital gain in this example.
        That is correct. However, that portion of the LTCG that's equal to the total depreciation taken will be "Unrecaptured §1250 Gain," and as such it means that some or all of it may be taxed as ordinary income, but at a tax rate no higher than 25%.

the taxpayer can reclaim the lost $20K in basis if a gain is reported, but cannot reclaim it if reporting a loss. And I guess this means there is a "gap" where the numbers fall into a sort of Twilight Zone and zero gain/loss is reported.
        Bingo! When an asset has dual bases ... one basis for figuring gain and a second, lower basis for figuring loss ... then if you use the "gain basis" and get a loss, but if you use the "loss basis" and get a gain, then there is neither a taxable gain nor a loss.
        Roland Slugg
        "I do what I can."

Comment

Working...
        X