1099-C for deceased taxpayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099-C for deceased taxpayer

I have a client whos wife passed away early last year. She was young and had a student loan. He just received a 1099-C for her student loan cancelled on her date of death. Surely her death is an exemption since the debt was not his? Can't find anything on the 982 to cover this event.

Cathe

Hi Cathe. According to the FinAid website, "Loan discharges for closed schools, false certification, unpaid refunds, and death and disability are considered taxable income."

However, I seem to remember that a taxpayer was able to avoid paying tax on his spouse's cancelled student loan by filing MFS in the year of death instead of MFJ. I can't find a reference to back this up though. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Some loan forgiveness programs are taxable and some are not. Under current law, the amount forgiven generally represents taxable income for income tax

Comment

Question

Would filing MFS work if the deceased had assets like 1/2 ownership of a house or bank accounts at the time of death? My guess is not.

Comment

1099-c: Community property?

Originally posted by cathe View Post
        I have a client whos wife passed away early last year. She was young and had a student loan. He just received a 1099-C for her student loan cancelled on her date of death. Surely her death is an exemption since the debt was not his? Can't find anything on the 982 to cover this event.

Cathe
        1. Are taxpayers/deceased residents of a community property state?
        2. An insolvency worksheet might show the deceased spouse was actually insolvent, assuming ownership of joint real estate, etc.
        3. Sometimes IRS asserts, in situations such as you describe, that the COD income goes to the deceased's estate: if so, then the estate may be insolvent since, at the moment of death, most jointly held property would be the sole property of the surviving spouse/joint owner.
        Friends double; family triple. Don't buy an audit for yourself. If someone has to go to jail make sure it is the client. Remember it is only taxes, nothing important.

Comment

I had this situation a couple years ago. I thought about the MFS route but the deceased had other income and withholding and MFS would have caused the loss of other tax credits for the surviving spouse. As it was there was plenty of withholding to cover the tax so we went the MFJ route.

I looked long and hard for an exception but couldn't find one. I read a court case where the parents had co-signed the daughters student loan and were stuck with the COD after she died. I figured if there was no exception there I was out of luck.
          In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
          Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Thank you

Thank you all. I surely did not see a way around this, but needed to ask to make sure I was doing right by my client.

Cathe

Comment

Working...
            X