No announcement yet.

How to redesign tax code?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The current system is providing me a comfortable living. I just wish Oregon would get a darn sales tax to go along with our income tax. I imagine I would be able to increase my income by another 30 to 40k per year preparing all those great new tax forms.

Comment

Veritas - Sales tax

Yeah, that tax is a good money-maker for us. We've got one here in Arkansas and we got some assistance recently from (believe it or not) the government. In the past you could go six months or more before they ever really got after you, but last year they passed a law stipulating that if a business was three months behind, they'd close it down. I was skeptical about it at first--they're usually long on talk and short on action--but this year one of my chronically delinquent clients brought a notice in that the field agent had placed on his door. It bluntly stated that he had five days to pay up in full or they'd be back and padlock the place on the spot.

I had never seen him concerned at all about taxes of any kind, but that notice made a believer out of him. The agent was staying overnight in a nearby town and he had me phone her at the motel and arrange to meet at my office the next morning. She agreed, met him, and he paid every cent of tax, penalty, and interest in full plus my fee to date. I tell you what; that strict enforcement is good for us as well as the state.

P.S. I was just kidding about your Latin (and you've got some good political points), but, who knows?, the Spanish might not be a bad idea one of these days.

Comment

Black Bart

This one is for you and the proud state of Arkansas.

Comment

"The People Rule"

Well, how about that? Turns out that's the motto of the State of Arkansas. I didn't have a clue. So much for my "education."

Comment

Working...
          X