Charging for ACA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging for ACA

I usually don't ask this question, but I would like to find out how and in what amounts everyone is charging for this portion of our returns. I've figured out how much for "check the box, stop here" section, but beyond that I don't have a clue.

Thanks.
    D

How do you charge?

Do you charge by the form - by the amount of time spent - combination of both - other?

Dusty

Comment

Form

Usually by the form. If I feel that is insufficient, I'll add add'l charges at the bottom of the invoice.
      D

Comment

The estimates on various boards are in the range of $25 to $75 additional if it is NOT a check the line 61 box situation. Some will charge a min $25 even if it is a check the box just because of ACA!

Fortunately most of my clients will fit the check the box situation so no increase to them for ACA.

For those that fall outside that, I am going to charge by the additional time spent, but capped at a certain amount I have not yet figured out.

Obviously it has to be reasonable based on what the market will bear!
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
          Obviously it has to be reasonable based on what the market will bear!
          I have always found it difficult to get good information on local pricing. Normally, I only see what others charge when new clients bring in prior year returns. How do you find out what other preparers are charging in your area?

Comment

Originally posted by KBTS View Post
            I have always found it difficult to get good information on local pricing. Normally, I only see what others charge when new clients bring in prior year returns. How do you find out what other preparers are charging in your area?
            Obviously your competitor down the road is not going to disclose his price list to you but one effective way is to have a friend call the other fellow for a quote. Now most preparers can figure out what is going on but sometimes you do get lucky!

Once I stopped by the Liberty tax shop and the newbie was looking at a chart of prices to give me a quote. I had a quick glance and tried to remember some of them. This is before cellphone's had cameras.
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

I have solved the problem in general by an overall increase in prices this year as a result of ACA and the Tangible Property Regulations. I charge by the hour with a minimum charge for any return I prepare. I have never really worried what others charge, as I do not know the quality of their work, service, and experience.

Comment

Working...
              X