Se heath insurance deduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Se heath insurance deduction

An ordained minister works as a minister for a church. The minister is not provided health insurance through his church, but instead purchases his own private policy which he pays for himself.

Would the cost of these health insurance premiums qualify for the adjustment to income self employed health insurance deduction?

Originally posted by KWF View Post
    An ordained minister works as a minister for a church. The minister is not provided health insurance through his church, but instead purchases his own private policy which he pays for himself.

Would the cost of these health insurance premiums qualify for the adjustment to income self employed health insurance deduction?
    Seems like this would depend on whether the TP is paid a wage, on a W-2, or paid on a 1099 and thus files a Schedule C.
    Friends double; family triple. Don't buy an audit for yourself. If someone has to go to jail make sure it is the client. Remember it is only taxes, nothing important.

Comment

Correct. Goes on Sch A if only W2 income.

You may want to check this site also:

Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Medicare Premiums

I know we've discussed Medicare premiums before as being deductible and I've read Pub 535 on this. I just would like some feedback on your thinking. Could a Schedule C TP deduct his Medicare insurance and also the amount of the additional health insurance that is a supplement to Medicare for expenses that Medicare doesn't pay?

Comment

Originally posted by ruthc View Post
          I know we've discussed Medicare premiums before as being deductible and I've read Pub 535 on this. I just would like some feedback on your thinking. Could a Schedule C TP deduct his Medicare insurance and also the amount of the additional health insurance that is a supplement to Medicare for expenses that Medicare doesn't pay?
          If there is no other insurance (from spouse) then I say yes.
          Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Supplemental Insurance

The husband has the Schedule C. Both husband and spouse have Medicare and pays for a supplemental insurance (BcBs) as do most Medicare recipients. Thanks for any input! I think the husband can take the Medicare and supplemental insurance.

Comment

Working...
            X