Charitable contributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charitable contributions

I have clients that "donate" food to the athletes for High School sports. Should this really be a contribution to the High School?

If you want a tax deduction for the donation, it has to be to a qualified charity. It cannot be a donation to an individual.

Comment

The high school's athletic booster association is on the IRS' website of exempt organizations. Maybe my client could get the boosters to write up something in regards to it being a donation...

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by taxgirl View Post
        The high school's athletic booster association is on the IRS' website of exempt organizations. Maybe my client could get the boosters to write up something in regards to it being a donation...

Thanks.
        The donation has to go to the athletic booster association for it to be deductible. Then the boosters can give the food to the athletes.

Comment

I thought that through after I posted... Think before you post

Comment

I have always advised my clients that if they wish to make charitable contributions to the local school system always do it through the athletic boosters or scholarship fund that are registered charities.

Most people will give a few bucks or write a check to the kids standing at the shopping mall during fund raising season without any documentation!
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
            X