CP2000 Missing Income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CP2000 Missing Income

I have a client who brought in a CP2000 today for TY2013. It says he did not file his $6,100 1099Misc. Client says he only had one job last year and it was from employer we filed. I know the company he worked for and they did not have any changes or buy outs.

How do we handle disputing that this income is his?

Thanks

I would first pull this Wage and Income Transcript, to actually SEE the information on the 1099. It may 'jog' the memory of your client. The 1099 may even have a telephone number of the payer, and the client can call them for more information.

Is the 1099-MISC amount in box 7? It may not even be work-related. Perhaps your client received $6100 for some other type of payment.

Comment

Normally, when these letters are received, they detail the Company name and address who issued it, and the type of form it was reported on (W-2, 1099, etc) and the type of income (non-employee comp, div, int, etc). Did he bring you the entire document from the IRS? It is usually about 3-4 pages front and back.

Comment

I ran into a similar situation with one of my clients last year. Pulled the transcript and there it was. The taxpayers girlfriend is a private chef and she did a catering contract using his info due to some political reason! Fortunately we got that resolved with the IRS by just paying the tax and interest and no more issues.
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

this is a believe only what you see and nothing that you hear situation. My motto: believe nothing you haven't personally verified.
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
          X