Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any way to fix a depreciation error on previous years returns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any way to fix a depreciation error on previous years returns?

I have a client whose return was completed by the previous owner of my business until last year. When I entered a new depreciable I noticed that the software showed the item on the list of depreciable items, but did not calculate the amounts. I fixed that data entry error, but then noticed that some very large items first listed in 2011 had the same error. Software wise it is an easy fix, but will the IRS accept the change?

Can you clarify? Were the items claimed (and depreciated) AT ALL, or were the incorrect dollar amounts taken, or were they depreciated using the incorrect recovery period?

Comment

2011 is still an open year, I'd just amend the returns.

Comment

If the tax year is still open, I would file an amended return otherwise use form 3115. This season may be most opportune to fix all those issues with form 3115.
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
          Can you clarify? Were the items claimed (and depreciated) AT ALL, or were the incorrect dollar amounts taken, or were they depreciated using the incorrect recovery period?
          Never depreciated at all.Over 40K total for two items. (Irrigation Pivots)

Comment

Technically, you need to amend 2013 for any assets placed in service in 2013, because it was only done for one year.

You need to file Form 3115 (with code 7) for unclaimed assets from before 2013. Not claiming depreciation is an "impermissible method", and if done for 2 or more years, it requires Form 3115.

Comment

Working...
            X